Topic

June BPL Hike & Post Apri?????

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips June BPL Hike & Post Apri?????

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Ok, one thing to clear here, please do not let this post distract from Jay's wonderful idea of a dayhike/BBQ in May please.

On our last trip to Rancheria Falls (which btw was awesome!) Tony made a comment that it would be cool to have each attendent bring an appetizer to share with the group. This does not have to be your dinner, but just something to share as we are firing up our bush buddies, alcohol stoves, esbit, and cannister stoves.

Me being a MAJOR foodie, thought this was a great idea and I am all over this. If you are to sign up for the hike, please state if you are going and what app. you will be bringing so that other fellow hikers will not be bring the same.

Place: I was thinking of places that do not have a quota system and that you do not have to bring a cannister. I have three ideas that I think would work. All are about 5 miles or less and not too hard.

1. Bear Lake in Emmigrant Wilderness.
    I have been there many times and just love it there!

2. Ebbets Pass to Kinney Resevoir in Toyabe Wilderness. Been here more than any other place in the Sierra's. Short hike with good fishing around

3. Dardenelle Lake on Hwy 89 near Lake Tahoe. Actually the Tahoe Rim to Rim goes by this lake. Nice scenery and good swiming.

I was thinking either June 20th or June 27th

Please discuss…….

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Ken,

I could do it on June 20th. I lead a hike on the 27th.

For a no-permit venue, at about 5 miles, might I suggest Showers Lake. It's north of Carson Pass, on the PCT. There are killer views of Dardenelle Lake and Lake Tahoe. Good wildflowers on the last pitch up to the lake.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

I'm down. Open to wherever.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Well to add to the female perspective, I will be bringing my wife. Let's keep all options open and see what the others have to say

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Perfect time to do it as it is one of the longest days of the year!

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

I am definitely interested in a June meet up with appetizers. The bar has been set so high after shrimp and beer last time. Bear lake would be great but I am open to all suggestions.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Now that Jay's day hike on Mt. Diablo is over…..and Jay I would like to see some pictures, How many folks are interested in making this happen? I am going that weekend regardless, but I would love to have some company.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Ken,
    We had a great time.
    a total of 7 of us showed up.
    22 miles up and down the devils backbone with a high around 92*. You can say we stayed very hydrated.

I know the photos are coming soon.

I found out that 4 of the BPL's there will be doing TRT in July. I can't wait to see the trip report on that.

The California BPL's have been having very successful planed trips and the TRT will now be the longest of these trips.
    That is until the dirty dozen, (or so) of the JMT'ers start off.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

sounds like you guys had a good time!! Would love to see some photos.

Here's to hoping that a trip happens in June!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

Photos are coming.

Funny thing, with new camera I now have to figure out how to reduce the size of the photos so that I can post them.

My old camera was 3.2 megapix, so I could just clean them up in Photoshop and start posting.

I have cleaned them up last night and I will see about sorting them and then resizing them.

Will do this fast and dirty….can not remember what trails we were on.

Frankly, my brain and mind where fried from the heat and being out of shape.

P.S. I would be interested in going on the trip, but I need to check with the boss. I might be able to take the family out, depending on how many miles out we are talking. So far, which location are you thinking of going to? If the mileage is low enough, I will see about taking my 6 year old daughter. She can be the BPL mascot. :)

-Tony

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

you?

now i'm depressed.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I was thinking that Bear Lake in Emmigrant would be nice. i think it is around 3 miles hiking. Their is some uphill but it is a moderate grade. My wife is going too, so the more females or children that would like to go, is ok!

The other thought was Kinney Lakes in Toiyabe. Great fishing, and a very easy 1.5 mile hike that is quite enjoyable.

June 20th????

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Bear Lake sounds good to me. What's the proposed schedule? Are we on for June 20th? I'm good.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Bear Lake the 20th of June. Dennis, if you were inclined to come up on Friday, there are wonderful car camping sites at the TH. I will be heading up on Sat. monrning.

For what it is worth, let's get a headcount if possible

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

That's out of Crabtree, yes? I camped there last September.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

yep that is correct

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Hey folks. I am just wondering how many are interested in doing this hike. If you could ever be so kind as to let me know, so that I can plan?

June 20th-21st, Emmigrant Wilderness
    Destination: Bear Lake or even Granite Lake which would add some cross country
    Trailhead is Crabtree Meadows
    No permit is required.

I'd just like to guage the interest in this.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

lane & i are planning on going – we were looking for this thread the other day & couldn't find it :)

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

I will probably be going up Friday morning, early. I plan to hike to Bear Lake and set up where you guys can easily find me. No more of this "make-and-break-camp-and-remake-camp" stuff for me.

Anyone want to carpool to that schedule? I'm coming from Petaluma and passing through: Vallejo, Benicia, Martinez, to Dublin and points east. I'll probably stop for breakfast. PM me if interested.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Dennis, knowing that I know this smallish lake so well, anywhere that you camp will be ok and you will be easy to find. No worries there!

Lane and Cary, Since you guys have demonstrated such great camp finding skills, I have no worries with you guys. Sorry this was buried, not too many have replied to this, that is why I bumped this up. It will be a pleasure to see you guys again!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

If I get there first I'll try to pick a site that works well for the group. Any preferences? East, West? Sun, Shade ? Smoking or Non Smoking?

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

I am currently planning to go.

— Bob

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sounds tempting! What can I tell the wife? Maybe ride with Denis? What time is early on Friday? The mind reels……

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Dear Mind Reels,
    I would be leaving about 6 am. Driving time is about 5 hours for me, from Petaluma.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

Okay, please count three more for the Bear Lake trip.

Going to bring my wife, Pat, and 6 yr old daughter, Mei.

Maybe my dog too.

They allow dogs, right?

Where do we go to get permits?

P.S. Not sure if I am going up Friday or early Sat.

-Tony

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools