Topic

Should I be carrying more Dead Birds?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Should I be carrying more Dead Birds?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 126 through 142 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

They'd have a hell of a Scratch-n-Dent sale.

>Dead Bird would make Beemer. Like totally.

Will the side panels delaminate in the rain?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"You'd have a $300,000 car on par with an entry level BMW."
    +1

David Ure

@familyguy

And no doubt for $300k, the car would be worth it. Especially during the 40% off sales.

Suckas

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

@ Nathan – BMW's make for great tow vehicles, you should try it sometime. I can put the hitch on there for you. What did you do for the 20% bump? I have a '00 Trans Am with a few goodies so you're speaking my language.

Ryan

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

…. it's a beautiful thing.

:D D 1

:D D 2

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I know this thread has gotten off-topic to the point of no return but I'll throw in my two cents.

For me as a fairly active backpacker who also does a lot of climbing I really appreciate the fit and design of Arcteryx clothing over all other makers. Small details, especially the hood on my Theta SV and Beta Fl, the cuffs on my Atom SV and LT, and the pockets on my Rampart pants make Arcteryx gear a joy to use. I also appreciate the burly, but fairly light fabrics that have proven durable time and time again.

I do think that their base layers like the Motus SS Crew are very comfortable and also extremely good at wicking, but they do not have Arcteryx's usual durability.

I recently got a ridiculous deal on an Arcteryx AC2 pack and after some brief uses around the crag for ice climbing I have to say I'm impressed with that as well.

It's not to say that Patagonia, OR, Marmot or even The North Face don't have great gear — they do (and outside the scope of my comment), and I own plenty from each, but Arcteryx is definitely a top notch maker by any measure.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I LOVE arcteryx. Nearly everyday I've got either an arcteryx shirt, fleece, or jacket of some sort on me.
    For backpacking, I always being dead bird baselayers. Either phase sl, ar, or SV depending on conditions. They are the best I've found as far as warmth:weight ratio and wick wonderfully.
    The palisade pants are my goto pants for 3 seasons, and the Gamma lt pants are great for snow. However….
    The jackets are a little heavy compared to many UL options out there. So I only bring my alpha sl jacket and pants on very wet trips.
    Also the insulating layers (ala atom lt) are not as warm or light as montbell, and the backpacks are really heavy.
    I guess no brand is perfect.

David Ure

@familyguy

Alright! Arcteryx is getting into the down business and I now a lot of us who value quality, fit and finish, durability, and class leading technology will appreciate this link:

http://altitude-blog.com/arcteryx-down-jacket-party/

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

odd …

when MEC or other manufacturers use PL1 with 800 fill down … people dont like the idea

but dead bird does it and now BPLers LUV it ;)

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Snowsports/MensClothing/PRD~5024-382/mec-dual-degree-jacket-mens.jsp

hmmmm …..

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Hey, I love arcteryx but I'm on record in an earlier thread saying I don't like their new down/synthetic combo coats.

David Ure

@familyguy

I find it odd that for someone who dislikes Arcteryx so much, you still like to pimp the product….

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=73952&skip_to_post=631318#631318

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I guess some company had to be last to the down party. Nothing innovative here.

[BTW, there was a BPL thread on Arc's down a few weeks ago with ORWM info/pics]

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

The articulated arms are a neat touch, but I don't see much else worth dropping coin on. Curious as to what the price will be.

Ryan

David Ure

@familyguy

"Nothing innovative here."

Except quality, fit and finish, best hoods, durability, and perfection in design. Finest jackets one can buy.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

I find it odd that for someone who dislikes Arcteryx so much, you still like to pimp the product….

i use what i find works well …. as said i use dead birds if its what fits me best at the price i want

no need to be blinded by the ideology of shiny dead bird logos … which i assume that you have already used their synth/down garments since yr such a fan david ;)

David Ure

@familyguy

Are you kidding? Way overpriced.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

lol

so how do you know that particular jacket is the

Except quality, fit and finish, best hoods, durability, and perfection in design. Finest jackets one can buy.

if youve never used that particular piece

i use dead birds when it suits me best and when i get em on sale … but i do USE em and have recommended the ones that work, and slammed the ones that havent

course you should NEVER buy em anywhere near full price ;)

Viewing 17 posts - 126 through 142 (of 142 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools