Topic

Ray Jardine examines Cuben Fiber

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Ray Jardine examines Cuben Fiber

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Posted here in On The Web section on 2/18.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Here's my take on the cuben condensation thing:

Condensation occurs when humid air cools off (contracts) and thus is carrying more water than it can hold so some is squeezed out. This can occur when all the air is cooling off (ie. evening) or it can occur when warm, moist air happens to run into something cold – i.e. your breath in the winter.

Consider a person wearing glasses in the winter who walks inside and the glasses become covered in condensation. Those glasses were cold, so the warm air in the house hit that cold surface, contracted and released condensation. But why does it happen so predominately on the glasses (as opposed to on their hat or something)? It's because the glass has a high heat capacity (essentially density) and it's quick to transfer heat, so any air coming in contact with the glass cools rapidly. Conversely some more insulating doesn't cool air nearly as fast, so condensation is slower to form if at all.

So I suspect that cuben is more insulating than silnylon – perhaps because there may be tiny air spaces between all those spectra fibers. If nothing else, there's less to it so it has less ability to absorb heat (cool off air). So when your warm breath inside the tent hits a cuben wall, it cools off slower and thus may end up being ventilated before it hits the condensation point.

That's my guess. There's also the greenhouse effect with cuben, but that's not really a factor for an open tarp.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"The cuben does get wet, especially over my head (which happens to be where the dog sleeps too…so I blame him)"

I guess this saves you from having to wear a balaclava?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Or skin moisturiser. :-)

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

breaking test sil vs cuben .74A simple test. the seam between the fabrics is just rolled over and stitched once. I applied body weight and jumped a bit. The main rolled seam held and the cuben fiber tie out connection stretched the stitch holes but held, the silnylon failed at the tie out. Nothing was reinforced.

A shelter that sags when wet can be due to poor pattern design.

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

Just wonder what forums would have been like if the Internet had existed back in the day when nylon appeared on the scene to replace canvas? Probably an awful lot of nylon shelter detractors.

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

FWIW:

YouTube video

Anonymous
    Inactive

Look at all the cyberhikers go!

What does it matter what he thinks about Cuben to you?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Why do you care what they care about Peter? Or are you just hurling insults this morning? Pot calling the kettle black.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Actually I have no idea what he things of cuben. The video didn't have any text or voiced opinions (other than grunting). But it leads us to conclude that he doesn't know how to examine it properly, or that he wishes to sway his minions with a distorted test. But what he thinks of cuben? I have no idea.

Certainly you knew this. right?

Steve

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Wow, I see an awful lot of tarps and backpacks out of those two pieces of sail!!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Don't forget about the dry bags and rain skirts which could be made out of the off cuts :-)

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Ray is always 10 years too late and 95 cents short.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Will Ultralight backpackers form pirate bands and raid sailing boats for their sails? I have this image in my head of UL hiker/pirates climbing over the rails with titanium swords between their teeth.
    Okay I'm weird.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Titanium swords and carbon fiber peglegs.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

:)
    The sail maker is located a little south of where I work during the week. Maybe a late night foray is in order or I can do some dumpster diving.
    Duane

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

YAAAARRRRRRRRR!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Cuben pirates, ahoy!!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

What is all of this talk about Cuben Privates?

I keep my pants on so my privates don't show.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Cuben underwear? Bob, You're tougher than I thought. Don't EVEN want to think about getting your Cuben knickers in a twist.

BABALOOOOOOOOO!

Cubano

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Is that a taught pitch, or are you glad to see me?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Bob if i had your privates i wouldnt show them either.

;) (Obv)

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Hmmm, dumpster diving might not be a bad idea. I bet I live pretty close to some sailmakers…

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

My limited perception as to why cuben seesm to suffer less from condensation has more to do with the surface finish.

Silnylin is more porous and so water tends to cling to the shelter wall.

Cuben is very slick/hydrophobic and so water tends to run off quicker and not cling.

I have not actually tested this though. Just from observation.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

You know that's a good point. My first silnylon tent shocked me the first time I was seriously rained on…that tent had to have weighed 5 pounds!! I shook it and shook it and could NOT get the water off. At first I thought there was something wrong with my DWR…

My hexamid, on the other hand, seems nearly dry with one or two good shakes in the am, even if I was rained on overnight.

I like your observation

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools