Topic

Cairns and LNT?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Cairns and LNT?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"So, both extreme positions are asinine. Unfortunately, most other people lack judgment as good as mine. ;)"

+1 to your whole post, even if it does mean agreeing with you. ;)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+2

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Heck, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of cairns are built by people who don't even know that they are supposed to be a navigation aid! They probably just think it's what the cool people do…

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

They're not always meant as a navigation aid – that's a wholly modern hiker interpretation. Throughout written and unwritten history they've been used for many other thing such as graves, religious locations, astronomical alignment, and battle strategy. For example, native americans would use them to mark a cliff and, when pursued, use the cairn as an indicator when to turn suddenly and send their pursuer off the cliff.

Here in the PNW I've seen modern cairns set up to indicate a popular hangout spot for the local kids and also to mark a few memorials for people who died in the wilderness.

This is why I guess I'm not so much against cairns – they imbue a place with some history, the intersection of man and wilderness, and are in most cases an aesthetic and low/no impact homage to our place in wilderness.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"…[T]hey imbue a place with some history, the intersection of man and wilderness, and are in most cases an aesthetic and low/no impact homage to our place in wilderness…

True, many cultures feature stone piles and prayer flags. But I think I would be pretty upset if I encounter this out in the backcountry:

In a place like Tibet, this would be an integral part of local culture. But here in contemporary America, we have no such practice — and thus no widespread acceptance. I think we should limit cairns to serving as trail markers — and only in reasonable number and size.

Not meaning to negate anything in Kier's post above, but just a general post…

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

>>But I think I would be pretty upset if I encounter this out in the backcountry

Have you ever encountered that in the North American backcountry? From this thread, it appears the worst there is in NA are some roughly 6' cairns, or maybe some smaller multiple piles. To some degree, it seems we are, as gramma would say, "Picking the fly p00p out of the pepper"

Of all the LNT topics out there, it's hard for me to believe this is the one that generates 5 pages of posts. Why not something with real genuine impact on the environment (not just our aesthetic interpretation of it), such as toiletry habits?

Note: really BPL? p00p is profanity? *sigh*

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> How bad would you feel if you discarded some cairns that Roger C temporarily put up
    > to mark his return home?
    I can't imagine HE would be much concerned … :-)

I had better add that we only do that in one or two places where the navigation is really tricky. I suspect that we would recognise the places now anyhow. And some of our 'cairns' would be invisible to most anyone else anyhow: a single stone on a log, or a stick jammed into a crack.

Cheers

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Good thing we saw this one. Would have walked right by the fork.

Bruce

And I usually think my CA neighbors to the south as quiet, reserved people.

What a shame to ruin a nice stretch of nothing but rocks along the Georgian Bay.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

I don't build cairns.

I don't tear 'em down.

Thus do I leave no trace of my passing.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools