Topic

Nylon Pants from Duluth Trading Company

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Nylon Pants from Duluth Trading Company

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I've yet to order a pair of these pants so I can't tell you if they're good or bad. I'm probably going to order a pair of the non-cargo pants to see how they work out.

.Duluth

Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

Locale: Northeast

Seems kind of pricey for non-convertible pants. That and I'm cheap.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Well aren't you two a couple killjoys! :)

My TNF hiking pants are just 100% nylon but not sure about the weight. They work for me so I'm not in the market for something with a spandex blend. They were also a couple bucks more than these.

One feature I use on my TNF pants which is present with the Duluth ones is the zippered "security pocket." For something more practical and EDC (but will still be appreciated in backpacking), I have to wear gear on my belt at work so it's nice having these extra pockets to throw a notepad, phone, pocket knife, wallet (since I don't wear it in my hip pocket anymore), other equipment, etc into.

For sun protection purposes, I'm trying to go 100% long pants and long sleeves this year so the convertible feature isn't something I need but hyoh.

Don Morris

@hikermor

I've got a pair (of these pants). They are well made, nice features, and should last.The fabric is not the lightest, but should be durable. Not the cheapest, but watch for sales. I am a satisfied customer.

I will be using them for field work – they would not necessarily be my first choice for a long, sustained hike, since you can probably find pants weighing five grams or so less, but they would do the job.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Have ordered a couple of clothing items from Duluth through the years. All been crap IME. Those pants will be too hot.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Step away from work. You don't need a zippered security pocket.

Don't tell me you hike with your fully loaded wallet.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Step away from work. You don't need a zippered security pocket.

Don't tell me you hike with your fully loaded wallet."

No but I'm trying to reduce crap in my house so having something that I can wear for work, SAR, and backpacking has great appeal to me; I currently wear Carhartts at work but some of them are ready to be replaced.

As far as my TNF pants go that have the same zippered pocket, the other front pockets remain empty when backpacking but I keep my SAK classic and notepad in there. I do dry my extra socks in my cargo pockets so I may have to reconsider buying the regular ones. (edit coupon doesn't apply to them anyways and they are the same price as the cargo ones with the discount)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I cannot wait to hike with you.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"I cannot wait to hike with you."

Well Doug says I'm your long lost fat brother so I think you pretty much have to.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

If Doug comes with we can speak profane all day.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

They look like good pants.

But, as others said, more work pants than hiking pants. Being nylon probably quicker drying than some like Carharts, too.

Probably work well for hard core bushwhacking/trail work, though.

A quick glance at their catalog shows their focus is definitely working gear but with a more technical twist vs Dickies, Carhart or similar.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Probably work well for hard core bushwhacking/trail work, though."

Well I think the difference of opinion we see here is due to the fact that I'm an EXTREME hiker and need extreme hiking pants.

Now as a triple crowner, I expect you're probably wondering WTF I'm talking about.

Here are a few examples of things I like to do when hiking:

1) Marmot wrestling
    2) Spontaneous acts of flopping down on the ground and making scree angels
    3) Playing tag with goats by running and peeing on rocks (hence the need for quick drying pants)
    4) Snow-less glissading
    5) Well I'm not sure whether or not #5 is technically legal so I need to consult with my attorney before describing this one.

Usually you can tell when I’ve completed one of these tasks if you see me kiss both biceps and exhibit high adrenaline Jersey Shore fist pumping.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

"Well I'm not sure whether or not #5 is technically legal so I need to consult with my attorney before describing this one."

Do tell more!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ian, don't know if they have BassPro shops out in your area, but they usually carry a widish assortment of nylon pants for good prices, and thinner and lighter.

I think you might need to add some other extreme acts to your list to fully justify those Duluth pants. You know, like the occasional random towing from 4 wheelers while you sit on your butt.

Pete Acker
    BPL Member

@pka45

Check out the Champion C9 Golf Pants from Target. Stretchy, light (<10 oz in 34×32), tough, nylon, and $30. They've been my favorites for a few years now.

Pete

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Do tell more!"

I guess the ruling on the field is that mutton busting is not permitted in Wilderness areas (damn technicality!)

They seriously need to update their prohibited activities signs! I'm not a mind reader!

.Ride 'em cowboy

Justin,

We do not have one close to where I live unfortunately.

Anonymous
    Inactive

BassPro shop is also online. The less expensive brands they carry are World Wide Sportsmen (or "man"?), Red Head, and BassPro. I'm not sure how reasonable or not they are for shipping. I have one near me and so if i do order online i have it sent free to the local store.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am pretty sure that "someone" is trying to pull the wool over our eyes, because there ain't no sheep big enough that Ian could ride, well maybe if could somehow mix it with a quarter Horse…

…unless we're talking ye ole lonely Scotsman sheep riding…Ian…???…SAY IT AINT SO!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!