Topic

Winter Packing SoCal Style

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Winter Packing SoCal Style

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

Locale: SoCal

My wife and I are "glass half-full" kind of people, and we like to take advantage of opportunities when they come up. Here is sunny Southern California, we are in a major drought (at least as of last week…). Streams are drying up, lake levels are low, but the good news is that it's warm, clear and there are mountains in our back yard. With nothing keeping us back, we packed our things and had a "Date Night" at 4,400 feet, UL style.

Enjoy the video: YouTube Video

More on our little overnighter at http://www.trekleader.com

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I'm jealous! PNW just got dumped on up here, it's snowshoes for us this weekend.

Your blog is great. Can I ask what type of camera you use?

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

The rain is just starting here…. We use both a Canon Power Shot Elph 110 HS, and a GoPro Hero 3

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Cool!!

Travis B.
    Spectator

@dispatchesfromthenorth

Thanks for sharing John. How do you find the super cat stove works for two? Debating between a homemade Supercat or a light canister stove for my girlfriend and I.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

…low-angle shots

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

Hi Travis, Thanks for your comment. The super cat works great for the two of us. We don't typically heat up more than 3 cups at a time, which takes a little over one ounce of alcohol. Notice I say "heat up" rather than boil; we heat the water to about 160º – 160ºF to save fuel and time. Plus, when the water boils, we have to wait longer to eat our food and drink our tea.

The good news is that the super cat will set you back the cost of one serving of cat food, or Deviled Ham in our case. However, canister stoves are nice and work better in the cold (below freezing) where the alcohol seems to suffer.

A real expert on stoves is "[email protected]." You might want to drop Jim a line and/or visit his website at adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com; he is very knowledgeable.

Travis B.
    Spectator

@dispatchesfromthenorth

Hey John,

That is a fantastic site. Can't believe I haven't stumbled upon it in my searches before. I'm going to have to make a super cat and test it out.

Cheers,
    Travis

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Thanks for sharing John. How do you find the super cat stove works for two? Debating between a homemade Supercat or a light canister stove for my girlfriend and I.

For two people, you can get by with an alcohol stove although it's a little slow. For three people, I myself typically bring a canister stove.

The SuperCat is a "set the pot on top" type of stove, one with no pot stand. That type of stove works better with smaller pots and is less stable for bigger pots. I don't know what size pot you plan to use, but pot stability should be considered.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving
    Hikin Jim's Blog

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

A real expert on stoves is "[email protected]." You might want to drop Jim a line and/or visit his website at adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com; he is very knowledgeable

I don't know that I'm particularly an expert. Roger Caffin maybe, but me? Not so much. I do have a lot of experience with stoves and I like to think that I identify the critical factors concerning stoves, but whatever.

As for getting in touch with me, hikin dot jim at gmail dot com is the best address. I haven't had time to check hikin.jim3 lately.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving
    Hikin Jim's Blog

Dennis Lee
    BPL Member

@hjldennis

Locale: So Cal

Cool video! the last comment lol

snow condition is terrible up in the mountains our weekend is slowing down.. we'll be out to mt. lowe soon. thanks for the idea!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools