Topic

Off topic: car camping in Northern California Memorial Day weekend.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Off topic: car camping in Northern California Memorial Day weekend.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hello. I'm planning a car camping trip for this Memorial Day weekend. Looking for locations in Northern California. I found Indian Well Campground near Tulelake, CA as an option. I'd love to hear other ideas for places that aren't too crowded during the holiday weekend.

Thank you.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Just about the worst weekend of the year to go camping. Most campsites require reservations and they are sold out 6 months in advance. If a reservation is not required, folks go up days in advance and take up all the remaining sites.

However…

My wife and I go camping with our tent trailer on most holidays and we don't make reservations and we don't have to contend with crowds either.

Here is the method… go to the USFS area you are interested in. Do a search for dispersed camping (often call yellow post sites in many areas).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks, gentlemen.

Is this the proper link?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/ncc/

Not sure where to search for dispersed camping. But I did confirm that Indian Well has dispersed camping should the sites fill up.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Sean you have to search around the website for the individual forest to try and find the dispersed camping information. Some don't have it on the website, and sometimes you have to stop by a ranger station. Even then, some of the clerks at the desk know little or they don't want to share as the FS doesn't have a lot of resources to monitor the dispersed areas. I have assembled a list of places near me over the past 30 years that I don't share because they would become popular.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks, Nick. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Lots of spaces in the Lake Alamanor area close to Lassen Volcanic NP. Lava Beds up where you asked about, but like has been stated, may be filled up or reservations made already. I'm doing like Nick and just headed out to a fav spot that mostly deer hunters use or loggers when in the area, not far from home.
    Duane

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools