Topic

If you could have only ONE solo shelter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) If you could have only ONE solo shelter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Same dog

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Nice work Ken. Did it have the stove/kitchen/cabinets in back?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ken,

That's nice! I dig the Volvo chick magnet too :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Apologies to the OP

Basic in the back.

We used a mixture of car camping and backpacking gear. Two burner Coleman stove. 12gallons of water. U boat battery.

I drove the Volvo for 7 years, 130k, It's still on the road with over 500k. Sold it for a $1000. Best $2500 I ever spent on a car.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Here's our ultralight unit. Almost 1/2 the size of the one I posted.

Starcraft

Some where I have a picture of the mini-tent trailer I used to tow with my motorcycle.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

We got a pop up as a wedding present. Used it for years. Renee hated the flopping fabric walls. I had other issues with it too. So I built the teardrop a few years later. The teardrop was able to withstand being dragged throughout Borrego behind my International.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

Clark Jungle Hammock

It's on the heavier side but considering it has a built-in wind sock, a sheltered gear loft, and a massive tarp (great for standalone tarping too!) I'm willing to take the weight penalty. Great in all 4 seasons, although a tent is more straightforward to use in the winter.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>U boat battery.

Dang. You've got a submarine battery running that thing?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Deep cycle battery. Provides steady charge for a longer period than an automotive type battery and can handle repeated discharging, unlike a car battery. I use golf cart batteries in mine. You gotta expand your universe beyond backpacking and pack rafting ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nick writes to Travis, "You gotta expand your universe beyond backpacking and pack rafting ;) "

Here-ye, here-ye, and may i most humbly and sincerely suggest that you, Travis take up ballroom dancing to aid in this expanding endeavor. Very zen and enlightening, believe it or not. Actually, there is a pretty funny Australian movie about ball room dancing–i will never look at it in the same light again.

Sorry guys, i will leave the cool folks club alone after this post. ; )

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My choice is a TT Moment DW with both inner tents and the crossing pole – natch.

Justin McCabe

@justinmc

Now if you would have said "if money AND weight weren't an issue"….I would have said the REI Basecamp 6 (of which I am a proud owner)but than again, this IS backpacking LIGHT.

So to answer your question, I'd say my SL 2. It's perfect for me. I can carelessly throw my gear wherever I please in it and still have enough room (after you all taught me to pitch it, of course).

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

Gatewood Cape is my favorite.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

For a couple of years a Scarp 1 was my only solo tent, it was a bit heavy for summer and in winter the cross poles where fiddly when very cold.

Now I have a Stratosphire (with both inners)
    which is great for 3 season and a Hilleberg Soulo for winter or crazy forecasts.

I recently purchaed a Trailstar to use on trips with my buddy but he finds it a bit too tight for two, I used it solo on a winter trip and loved it so will cajole him in to trying it out on an overnighter in 2 weeks.

Anyway back on subject, if I was to have only one solo tent it would be a Hilleberg Unna and get a lighweight Mesh inner and cf poles for summer, as I could use it any time if year above or below treeline.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

palace for one and usable for two. great ventilation, sets-up easy, simple design and can handle high winds and snow-loading. while other's have had different experiences, i've never had a problem with the tent leaking in the rain. at 3#'s it might not be the lightest tent, but for me, with a choice limited to one, it's the most versatile.

David Ure

@familyguy

Ken – that picture of the tarp is clearly photoshopped. The tarp, not the dog.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

MLD Solo Mid with MLD Bivy.

One of the lightest Mids out there.

Full protection from all four sides again rain, moderate snow loads, and strong winds.

Can use both hiking poles in an inverted "V", which offers additional strength in pitching to help resist wind and snow loads.

Simple pitching only requiring 4 stakes.

Optional bug netting perimeter to allow for more comfort in buggy situations.

-Tony

Rudy Hassall

@windedbowhunter

Locale: MidAtlantic

I purchased my Hilleberg Soulo 5 years ago and have never looked back! It is bomber, easy to setup, comfortable to ride out storm for a day or more, great vestibule to keep all of my gear out of the weather!

But, I do like the Exped Mira as a friend has used this on several of our trips. I have have hear great things about the SeekOutside Little Bug Out.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Randy,

I hear you in the Soulo but it would be a heavy warm beast for summer time.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I bought one on gear swap 3 years ago and am still in love with it. I mostly still poncho tarp when 3 season hiking, and use the duomid in winter where it sheds snow well. At 13 oz though, it is light enough and roomy enough to meet my needs year round.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I know that the Hexamid Twin is technically a two people tent but it makes a fine solo as well!

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Light, roomy, solid in storm or wind. While I occasionally get out the Cuben Cricket (1 person Trailstar), the Duo is the real gem!

Rudy Hassall

@windedbowhunter

Beleive it or not, it's not any warmer than any other tent. Just control the ventilation circulation and you're good.

Not as cool as a tent or just a netting!

If you really wanted to, you leave the outler wall off and hope it doesn't rain! :^)

Rudy Hassall

@windedbowhunter

I have not tried this yet…

But, have a few friends who are really liking their Seek Outside Lil Bug Out Shelters

http://seekoutside.com/products/ultralight-tipis/little-bug-out-shelter/

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools