Topic

What Material do they use before they make Silnylon?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What Material do they use before they make Silnylon?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

Learning to sew and just made my first really well done stuff sack. I think I am using some other fabric than what I am looking for though. It may be a mid weight nylon, I only had a 2 selections of nylon and I picked the lighter of the two.

Is there a lighter weight than Silnylon fabric that is just Nylon before treating it with Silocone? I think that's what I am looking for.

The stuff sack that I made weighs .8 ounces, I honestly expected it to weigh around 3.5 or so.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

There are quite a few different weights. 1.1oz/sqyd and 1.9oz/sqyd are quite common. These of course are the weights of the plain material before silicone treatment.

Take a look at Diy Gear Supply. They have quite a few waterproof (silnylon) and breathable (not-treated) fabrics.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

owfinc.com and thru-hiker.com have 0.9 oz nylon

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Fabric.html has 0.65 oz nylon – that 8D stuff is 0.67 oz and is really nice, and very cheap too. I made a liner for a sleeping bag that turned out nicely. Seems to be down-proof. I see other colors are coming soon. $7.50 per yard.

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

Thank you both! I have had very limited selection when it came to fabric at my local stores however I was able to find a source for Spinnaker.. doubt I'll use it though.

Cheers and thanks again!

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Thank the Lord they are getting different colors for the 8d. That green is LOUD.

Ryan

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I was initially skeptical about the "Kelly" green, but now I think it's okay

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Yeah, just depends on what you use it for I guess. I made a Whitney down jacket with it and I look like the Incredible Hulk's taller brother.

You wouldn't like me very much when I'm angry.

Ryan

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

RE: 8D-KG

I bought some for my down quilt and I don't think it's too harsh. Used to camp in a Eureka Timberline the same color.

Lawrence Fink

@magnafabrics

We offer a 60 inch Durable water repellent nylon fabric in the ACU camouflage pattern at only $1.25 a yard. I do not have a sample of the sylnylon but I think this fabric is comparable or even better since it is a product that is made for the United States Army. You can get a free sample by contacting Magna Fabrisc at [email protected]

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A DWR fabric is nowhere near the same thing as silnylon. Before silnylon, it was all PU coated nylon, cotton or silk before that.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Silicon coated nylon"

That's pretty funny, Lawrence.

It might be silicone-coated, but not silicon-coated.

–B.G.–

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools