Topic

So What’s Tempting You? C’mon, Spit It Out!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) So What’s Tempting You? C’mon, Spit It Out!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    P. Larson

@reacttocontact

My wish: The ability to say f**k the world, f**k a job, and just run off and pull some type of Skurka Alaska type trip.

My want: A 50L HMG Windrider Ultralight pack.

My regrets: Not pulling the trigger on the Echo 1 shelter system.

daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Locale: East Coast

Setting a date to do the Sierra High Route (only a portion) and a Hiking partner to go with, a Tarptent notch and a ULA Circuit.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Up until this afternoon it was a zpacks sleeping bag. The buy button got pushed….

Steve

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Just returned from the Philippines. Ya wanna talk about tempting girls? THAT's the place adn many Aussies, Americans and Europeans have discovered it.

But I DID use my Steripen constantly after getting amoebic dysertery in Cebu. It was a lifesaver/tripsaver.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Made it to now almost to March w/only following thru on one temptation, a Zpacks 20 degree quilt bag w/2 ounces of overfill.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

…how come everyone wants an 8.5oz stove? Are the words Ti and cuben like crack to you all? ;)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Paul:

Why are your picking on Ti and cuben? Everything gear is like crack to us!! :)

But I think I know what you mean about heavier gear…

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

A Bearikade Weekender and a Katabatic Sawatch with overfill.

I have a bear canister and a sleeping bag already. These would save me 17 ounces for a price of $680 (plus tax and shipping). That's pretty STEEP! No performance gain beyond the weight savings too… and still. I've wanted a Weekender for over a decade. I imaging that I'd be using it for decades to come. And the quilt… well, my sleeping bag is a "heavy" Marmot Helium :(

Probably shouldn't do it, but I'm so tempted!

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

DuoMid, Tarptent Notch, or StratoSpire 1. Just got past my previous temptations of an Enlightened Equipment 30 degree quilt and MLD Exodus FS :)

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

blackrock's vest (but somehow he converts it into a full jacket b/c i don't like vests)

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

Craig, only 10 more months, huh??

OK, Heres whats been wanting to burn a hole in my pocket:

Neo Air Xlite Womens. Did these things fall of the end of the earth or what? My GF still owes me for Christmas.

ZPacks cuben poncho/ground sheet

Montbell UL wind pants

Oh, and round out the list with a GoPro Hero2 camera, to use with all my hobbies.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I'm with a few others. There are plenty of ways for me lighten my load a bit…but really I want to get outside much more. Which I guess really means I need to finish school ;)

That said I actually have two needs:
    A tarp, any tarp at this point. I'm tired of my REI WPB bivy. I've done well on group trips splitting a tent here in the desert, but all my solo trips have been rainy and the bivy might as well be a VBL for how wet it gets inside. With the tarp a new breathable bivy too.

I also need a warm parka if I get lucky and can move down to Chile. The Andes will be too tempting for me to ignore.

But really, get out of the city more is priority number one!

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

A Zimmerbuilt pack or two and some down pants from Goose Feet or possibly a new sleep system. Zimmerbuilt is highest on the list. Need a good lightweight day pack.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

What isn't? Its tempting, but I can't afford any of it at all :-(

Black Rock: Hadron, Vest, WPB Cuben overmitts in extra small (hey, don't laugh!). Original for my partner.

NeoAir X-lite, small, I'll hack it down to about 32inches long. Regular size for her.

Z packs sleeping bags for both of us, with the side zip. Extra down for hers.

Suluk46: his WPB Cuben topped bivy, but with stronger cuben bottom…about three of them…a double and a single for when I'm going solo on the bike. Also a single with the light bottom for when I'm walking and can take is foam groundsheet to protect it (too bulky with the bike).

Revelate Designs: Visacha seat pack. Get a custom extra large mesh top pocket for it.

MLD: Cuben poncho

Baum: a custom Titanium fast audax bike…don't get me started on the details of that…or the astronomical cost…

Custom stuff from whoever can make it…

1. WPB Cuben torso'd, M50 sleeved hoodless rain jacket. Sub 2.5oz?

2. 7D windpaints custom fitted to give me enough flexibility to cycle in, but nice and slim so that they don't catch too much wind. Look good enough to substitute as my main paints off the bike for town use.

3. One of those old Golite t-shirts that weighed something like 60g. I think Dan has one. They don't seem to make them anymore, and no one else seems to get close for weight.

4. A 0.34oz/sqyd cuben square micro tarp for over the head end of my bivy. Dyed stealthy colours. No seams, about 5x5feet. Sub 1oz not including guys and pegs?

5. Cuben tank bag for the bike's top tube.

EDIT, MORE!!!…

6. One of Roger Caffin's tunnel tents with a 1.4oz cuben floor, he can pick all the other details. It would just be so much easier and more comfortable for Sharla and I than my trailstar with pole in the middle. I don't mind the extra weight when we are together.

7. Titanium mini nail clippers. My stainless manicure ones weigh 16grams, and even if I remove the file and give it some drillium, they'll still be about 13-14grams. Way too much.

8. A McHale.

9. A cuben bumbag, about 4 Litres, with some reflective panelling on it.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I really want the new Neo Air Xlite regular. Bu $160 dollars for a sleeping pad is obscene. So I just keep watching gear swap for someone selling the old regular version for around $80.

What might get me though is the REI 20% off coupon but $130 is still obscene for a sleeping pad. Plus shipping to Canada with REI is never cheap although you can get most of it refunded afterwards if the actual shipping cost is less than the flat rate cost. And I have a few other things I want to buy from there but really they can wait for my trip down the Oregon coast in July.

Other than that I have some more reasonable purchases I am making to equip myself for some long distance runs. A small cheap running pack and a Blizzard bag. And some new trail shoes (I need them as the sides are blowing out on my current ones)

Since I have now more or less finished my 10lb ish kit my new thought process for buying gear is that the gear needs to allow me to do something new not do something marginally better. So instead of pouring over gearlists I am pouring over potential running routes and working on logistics.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

@Jack Agree with the Weekender. Just do it. I'll pick one up this summer. Enough waiting.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Jack: I have a Bare Boxer Champ that's never been used I'd sell ya! =)

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I am lusting over an Exped UL7 when it comes out in long/wide. I have a load of moosejaw points that are ready and waiting. Last I heard is that they will start showing up in March or April.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Maybe a Cervelo RS. But probably just a Stratosphire 2. Need to replace the DR, just waiting on the severance package.

Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

Cuben fiber duomid

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I think the final piece to my puzzle is a quilt. Not sure which one, but I want one.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Since my McHale Bump is traveling along the Left Coast towards me in a Brown van, I have everything I need for a long time.

However, all pairs of my beloved 5" Patagonia Baggies are approaching their 30 year birthday and are for all intents and purposes worn out. Patagonia finally brought them back to market again and I have been waiting for some to go one sale at a discount somewhere. But that has not happened. So I will probably buy a couple pair at $49. I know that sounds like a lot of money, but if past performance is any indicator the new ones will last until I am in my 90's, which statistically won't happen… although my father is getting close.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

i got myself a neoair allseason, but if the xtherm is as light and as warm as they say it is, i might sell my allseason and get one of those when it comes out.

A evernew 900ml pot (the one that weighs 3.5 oz and will fit my bushbuddy) and a AGG cozy to go with it.

A lighter shoulder season bag. i have a really nice winter bag, and a really nice summer bag, but nothing inbetween thats remotely light. hopefully with my new warmer neoair, i can push my summer bag to lower temps without noticing.

A montbell tachyon anorak, if they make them again. if they don't, im going to be mad at myself for not buying one when i could have… (if anyone has a large in good shape, i want it)

a montbell ex light vest – had one and sold it when i needed some rent money, i've regretted it ever since and now they don't make them. maybe i can find something that works the same, or get montbell's UL down vest instead.

oh, and i really want to spend all of june in the greater yellowstone/grand tetons area. that kinda depends on the snowpack. if its like last year, it'll suck, if its like the year before, it'll be GREAT!

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

@Nick: I'm looking forward to hearing about the details of your Bump pack! Also, Patagonia runs a 50% off sale late summer/early fall (Septemberish) if you can wait 'til then.

For myself (in no particular order):

1) An assault climbing pack. My HMG Expedition gets the job done, but I don't like the way I have to lash everything on the outside. I want to fondle the new MH packs (40L) before making a decision.

2) Hardshell pants. At this rate, I won't need them this winter anyway and can wait until next year. That's the idea, at least.

3) Building out my climbing rack.

4) 4-season tent. I think REI's 20% off sale will go towards a Direkt 2…

I'm not buying backpacking gear, and I can't think of anything that's really tempting me. I'll need new trail runners by the summer season, but hoping I can make do until then. My gear lust has shifted once I swore off buying new backpacking gear and started focusing on winter ascents.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

NeoAir Xtherm
    Bearikade (both sizes…we're just talking temptation here, not reality)
    Breathable Cuben jacket
    All the MYOG stuff I will probably take years to get to…procrastination, y'know?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools