Topic

Mountain Laurel Designs TrailStar Shelter Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Mountain Laurel Designs TrailStar Shelter Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 151 through 174 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

The MLD TrailStar has Won 1st Place : Camping Gear of the Year in the TGO Magazine The Great Outdoors Awards event today.

TGO is the leading outdoor magazine in the UK.

The judges of this category were only the editors at the magazine. -Other categories were by popular vote online so we feel extra happy about this one as extra special. http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/awards/judges/

We can tell you that they get plenty of rough weather and high winds in the UK on the exposed walk areas in the north and that on the 2012 TGO Challenge hike across Scotland many dozens used the TrailStar.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Congratulations Ron. The Trailstar is also great for the conditions we often face in New Zealand. You have bomber wind performance, plus plenty of space to get out of the rain and deal with soaking wet kit. So far mine seems to have come with fine weather attracting coating, but its only a matter of time:).

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I wonder if the review is going to be updated, it is almost a year. Seems the rolling reviews must have rolled off a cliff.

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

I know I'm going to embarrass myself with this one, but I've been watching Bear Grylls on TV a touch lately and it got me thinking:

Could I use the TrailStar as a parachute, if I *really* needed a parachute in a pinch?

this assumes I'm caught on the top of a cliff somehow and the best decision is to get down ASAP by some means other than descending like a normal person or "aiming for the bushes."

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

While trying to avoid the profanity filter I'll say this…

We have a saying here in SE LA. "When you're up to your _____ in alligators you're gonna run, walk, swim or fly."

My point being, when you are presented with a situation that demands you do whatever you can ASAP to avoid serious injury or worse a person will "try" to survive.

Parachutes have harnesses, multiple shroud lines and steering lines. At most your TrailStar has 10 attachment points for guy lines. All of these would be held in your hands as you attempted your "jump".

Use the proper tool for the job. I doubt that you really want to carry a chute on a hike but an alternative might be a suitable length of climbing rope and gloves to allow for a quick descent.

Party On,

Newton

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"I wonder if the review is going to be updated, it is almost a year. Seems the rolling reviews must have rolled off a cliff."

Are you really waiting to hear what they have to say about the Trailstar, Nick?

No need to finish this, other than for formalities sake and honoring what was promised. ;-)

Anyways, this initial review was late to the "party" when it came out almost a year ago.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

A smaller and larger version of the TrailStar is now available at mountainlaureldesigns.com

The LittleStar is about 15% smaller and the BigStar is about 30% larger than the standard TrailStarMLD LittleStar.

BigStarBigStar

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Wow.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

This will be an excellent tarp when out with my grandkids! I can hardly wait!

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

If you pitch the Big Star as a pyramid,with 4 corners to the ground(as pitched by one of your youtube reviewers,what size shelter will you have?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

From the MLD website –

"It is 30% larger than the TrailStar and offers the same sleep space as a 9 X 9 Pyramid Shelter."

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

A little under 9 X 9 – Each of the 5 lower edges are about 9'.

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

Ron,
    Now that the LittleStar is available, would you be able to compare it to the Cricket Tarp? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each? I really like both, and want to buy one of them . . . I just can't decide which one!

If it matters, I'd be using it as a solo shelter, and I'm only 5' 2".

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

Locale: United States

I'd like to see the review finished. Still rolling?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

It's too bad it hasn't been updated. The comments in the thread were overall very positive. Doug Ide posted some very good links that should be read. Unfortunately, there are many blogs that rival some of the BPL reviews these days.

About a year ago I posted the same question, and Eugene replied what else did I need to know… there was ample information on the Web; and he was right.

If you want the best wind-shedding shelter for the weight, buy one. But ignore the posted weight, by the time you seam seal it, add guy lines and substantial stakes it is going to weigh a lot more.

I only take mine when I expect nasty weather, and it meets all my expectations.

Doug Hus
    BPL Member

@doug-h

Locale: Ontario. Canada

May I ask which blogs you are using for light weight backpacking.

David Ure

@familyguy

Ryan, any chance you could update this review? Recommended? Highly recommended?

Doug Hus
    BPL Member

@doug-h

pending, 3 plus years.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

"May I ask which blogs you are using for light weight backpacking."

There is a list on my website: http://www.popupbackpacker.com

The majority are UK blogs.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

They'll be no update here either Nick. Get that bathroom remodel done yet? How about an update on that motorcycle restoration? You are on the same work schedule as BPL. Shoulder some responsibility and stay home and get something done instead of galavanting around.

Happy Easter!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

And Happy Easter to you and your family.

Since there won't be any updates on the Trailstar, I might as well update everyone on other stuff.

My wife made me come home for Easter dinner. And I actually made progress on the bathroom — I looked at some pictures of bathrooms on Houzz today while she prepared dinner. Unfortunately I was overwhelmed by the seemingly endless options. Might have to take a few backpacking trips to sort out a solution.

The motorcycle is on hold. The boss says I can't touch it until the house is done. Drats. On my way out of town a couple days ago I stopped by a Yamaha dealer and looked at the big Venture touring bike. Maybe I should just buy a new one for now? Too bad that bike is carbureted. Need to do more research.

The boss is going to make me retire next year so she can supervise me, so the end is near :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Will she let us get into the desert together while you're on supervision? I think a trip is in order soon.

Weather down here seems to be shifting and shrinking our desert hiking window Nick.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Pick a date and I'll get a kitchen pass. She likes you apparently.

Doug Hus
    BPL Member

@doug-h

Are there any people that have be using the Trailstar for a few years that could give updates?

p.s., my (updated) laundry room renovations are complete.

Doug

Viewing 24 posts - 151 through 174 (of 174 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools