Topic

Sodium… Mmm…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Sodium… Mmm…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

A bit of sarcasm in the thread title.

What's the rationale behind including such a high amount of salt in dehydrated foods?

Is it due to salt's preservative qualities? Is it due to electrolyte replacement necessity? Is it just for enhancing the flavor of an already bland meal?

I'm just curious.

Also, are there any dehydrated foods (brands) that are low or "normal" on the amounts of salt they include in their meals? I know the quick answer is probably to make and dehydrate my own (low salt) meals, but I am wondering if there is some commercial brands out there that already do this.

Thanks…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Is it due to salt's preservative qualities? Is it due to electrolyte replacement necessity? Is it just for enhancing the flavor of an already bland meal?

Yes but more so for the last two.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

They put enough sodium in those meals to replenish electrolyte levels in a spent race horse. I think Ken is right, probably #3 mostly.

Mountainhouse claims that they originally loaded their meals with sodium for performance purposes (sodium loss), but they're "working on it".

From the Mountain House FAQ page:

Why do you put so much sodium in your product?

"Our products were orignally designed to fit a high-performance lifestyle, replacing some of the sodium lost during heavy exertion. However, we understand today's concern regarding high sodium and we ARE making improvements to all of our products to reduce sodium."

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Call me crazy, but if I need electrolyte replacement I'll drink a Gatorade (or something similar). There's a reason why they don't hand out hot steaming bowls of lasagna along the way at marathons…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

In the middle of nordic ski marathon races, they routinely serve hot blueberry soup to the participants. Few athletes sweat more than a nordic racer.

–B.G.–

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"There's a reason why they don't hand out hot steaming bowls of lasagna along the way at marathons…"

;-) Hilarious.

The disproportional ratio of porta johns to race entrants might also be a factor.

Check out Pack Lite Foods, never tried their meals but they claim low sodium on their site.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Packlite foods are quite tasty – and are vegetarian friendly as well!

IMO I have always felt that the sodium is used to boost the flavors. Because simply put sodium isn't the only thing needed when sweating – potassium is just as important!

A person who eats out 2-3 meals a day would find MH and similar brands to be "normal" for salt (eek). But worse is….maybe, just maybe the big players in freeze-dried meals could make the meals real appetite size – so that the consumer isn't eating 2 servings just to be full!! Packitgourmet and Packlite for example get this. Maryjane meals are relatively lower in sodium as well but don't fill up so well.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

In the coming months/years you will see sodium levels coming down in those meals hopefully.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I hope you are correct, John. Some meals have double the RDA for sodium. Bleh.

Mountain House

@mountain_house

Eugene, thanks for letting us know your thoughts about our freeze-dried backpacking food. I'm here on behalf of Mountain House, and I want to let you know we have been listening to concerns from customers like you, and we have made changes to our meals. I would like to send you a free sample of one of our new low sodium meals, which have less than 300 mg of sodium. If you're interested, please send me a PM. Thanks!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Maybe its not a bad thing. Hiking in the desert I lose a lot of salt/minerals. Sometimes the back of my shirt becomes almost as hard a cardboard with all the mineral loss that is absorbed by the material.

Many desert hikers take salt tablets, but I find they upset my stomach.

When I first moved to the desert, one summer day I was outdoors with a friend painting my motel. Temps probably around 120F. Didn't know much about working in an extreme climate. Towards the end of the day we both got light-headed and nauseous. So we took a break and sat in the shade, ate some potato chips and drank ice tea. Within 30 minutes we both felt great again. It was the salt that did the trick.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Actually potato chips contain a lot of potassium. To take in water you need both sodium and potassium. Potassium is needed by your heart!! Salt isn't everything.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Actually potato chips contain a lot of potassium. To take in water you need both sodium and potassium. Potassium is needed by your heart!! Salt isn't everything."

Yes I did state earlier salt/minerals. Anyway, the point I was making is the the RDA (if it is even valid), may not apply when we are engaged in strenuous activities. But I am not a doctor… just a silly hiker.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"Yes I did state earlier salt/minerals. Anyway, the point I was making is the the RDA (if it is even valid), may not apply when we are engaged in strenuous activities. But I am not a doctor… just a silly hiker."

I agree with Nick.
    One thing is what you eat at home on a regular basis; high salts while exerting yourself should be fine, if not beneficial.
    Also, "salts" include sodium, potassium, magnesium and a few more.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Only in extreme situations (high heat, extreme sports, similar) does a person need extra salt added. Frankly the majority of us get way too much on our diets as is. One issue is not stopping to drink often enough – and to have a light snack each time you stop. If we all did that we would have less issues.

But few of us will EVER need to eat 2K or more of sodium in a single meal AFTER hiking in camp. (Although to be honest many people do this eery time they eat out – it is easy to consume 2 to 5K of sodium in a restaurant meal!!)

In a typical situation of hiking the kidneys retain the sodium needed to function (if a person is healthy of course, with no renal issues).

If one is concerned they should consult a sports doctor on it. But few of us here are doing marathons and above in desert temps.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Way to go Mountain House for reading/listening! (Seriously).

On another note: when are you coming out with a freeze dried waiter offering a bottle of Merlot?

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

"Maybe its not a bad thing. Hiking in the desert I lose a lot of salt/minerals. Sometimes the back of my shirt becomes almost as hard a cardboard with all the mineral loss that is absorbed by the material.

Many desert hikers take salt tablets, but I find they upset my stomach.

When I first moved to the desert, one summer day I was outdoors with a friend painting my motel. Temps probably around 120F. Didn't know much about working in an extreme climate. Towards the end of the day we both got light-headed and nauseous. So we took a break and sat in the shade, ate some potato chips and drank ice tea. Within 30 minutes we both felt great again. It was the salt that did the trick."

I have no problem with salt tablets or salty snacks–those are things you can control. Need more salt? Eat more pretzels. Need less salt? Hold off on those salt tablets.

But with instant meals, sodium amounts are already predetermined and set. Perhaps the manufacturers could market them with intial low salt amounts, but include a separate packet of salt so the meal could be adjusted according to personal preference.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

All I know is in the summer, I go nuts over salty foods. Cheezits get totally devoured. My body wants it.

Mountain House

@mountain_house

Jeffrey, how did you find out about our 2013 products…

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

MH — hate to pile on here, but I found two MH items in my go-box.
    Lasagna with Meat Sauce — 630 mg (26%)
    Chocolate Strawberry Crunch (kid bribe) — 380 mg (16%) (which is really low for one of your products).
    The problem is this is only 430 calories. You can do the math.

The reason I still have them is the meals are way to salty for me.

I will be looking for your new products to hit the market.

Mountain House

@mountain_house

Tim, our new meals have less than 300 mg of sodium. Our new meals are being rolled out a little later this year. Thanks!

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

Awesome. That is really good to hear, as I worry about sodium but love the convenience of your meals for when I don't want to make my own. :)

K

Mountain House

@mountain_house

Thanks for your concern. Mountain House wants to help you live a long, healthy and adventurous life. Our new freeze-dried meals have less than 300mg of sodium & we think you’d love them. Send us a DM for a sample w/ your name, email and address. Feel free to out check us out on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MountainHouse and Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/mtnhouse (@mtnhouse).

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

This is cool, MH. Your meals are our favorite freeze dried food for backpacking. Reducing the high sodium is nice to see.

Mountain House

@mountain_house

Thanks for your feedback. We want to help you stay healthy when you need it the most, in the outdoors. We now have freeze-dried meals with less than 300mg of sodium & we think you would love them. We would like to send you a free sample. Please DM us with your name, email and address. Feel free to out check us out on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MountainHouse and Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/mtnhouse (@mtnhouse).

In response to some reports about these Mountain House postings – I am going to let them pass because they are fairly direct answers to questions and comments, which seems fair enough to me. Obviously we don't want too much of this, but hopefully restraint will be shown.
    Low salt – sounds good to me!

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    backpacking Light

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools