Topic

How to avoid falling trees?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How to avoid falling trees?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Barry Pollock

@barry1492

Locale: Media

Hate to bring this up, but it's probably my biggest fear. I'm currently reading Between a Rock and a Hard Place and I'm fairly confident I can avoid most of the problems that Aron ran into as I'm simply just a more cautious person than he was, so hopefully no avalanches, falling off cliffs or waterfalls, or getting crushed by rocks in the future.

My one fear, though, is having a tree land on me in my sleep.

Is there really anything that can be done, or do I have to just hope that statistics stays in my favor?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Be aware of your surroundings and remember that the drive to/from the trailhead was the most dangerous part of your trip. Enjoy yourself.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

Dont make camp within the fall zone of questionable trees IMHO that's the only logical thing to do anymore is being paranoid about a force of nature that's unpredictable there's inherit dangerous in the sport we love but it wouldnt be the same without that sense of being surrounded by a greater force and a greater sense of being human is a humbling experience and one of the main reasons I love the outdoors as much as I do just my opinion take it with a grain if salt

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Just a few minutes of canvassing the overhead branches may help you spot any potential dangers. Other than that, there's not much you can do. Like Ken said, enjoy yourself.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Look up certainly but most of the time, there's more than just one tree down.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Hike only in deserts…

Actually it always crosses my mind when setting up near trees. Just be vigilant. Probably more to be concerned about when driving to and from the trailhead.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

All that's been said has been great advice. I've nothing much more to add beyond personal experience. Falling trees have happened to me, and it's something that I now truly consider. Once, I had a major branch fall on me while I was sleeping out. Luckily, the bushy part landed on me instead of the seven inch in diameter log. Another time, an entire tree crashed down, landing within four feet of where I was sleeping. I now look closely at the trees around where I camp. It bothers me when I'm 'forced' into camping within the fall zone of a snag.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

Sleep above treeline :-)

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Avoid falling trees?

For the most part its quite easy. Look at your surroundings. If there are quite a few downed trees, DON'T hunker down there. Move to where there are few downed trees. Unless a tornado comes through, those trees will do nothing more than bend and sway in the wind.

Being in a forest with 60+ Mph winds is an amazing experience. You can hear the gusts moaning howling like a freight train come barreling through. The freight train sound starts around 40mph winds with 40 year old or older evergreen trees. Younger/shorter than this and the wind speed along the ground isn't great enough to get that true freight train sound going.

If you don't know what a barreling freight train truly sounds like, camp in Wyoming on I-80 as the tracks are parallel to I-80 through there where trains routinely 120 cars long come barreling through at 90mph. You can feel them coming a half mile or more away. Said trains themselves are 3/4 a mile long all by themselves.

I pay the wind no attention, I enjoy it, though generally if its that windy it is POURING CATS and DOGS here in the PNW as said storm came from the Tropics and blew north.

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

So true…

I was thinking about this on the last trip… but my camp was worth it ;)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Condition your core muscles for evasive catlike maneuvers whilst under your tarp and quilt.

Stay frosty- train yourself to sleep lightly, preferably with both eyes open.

Possess Tiger's Blood like Charlie Sheen.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools