Topic

Post-hike rituals

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

mmm beer.

now that many brewers offer cans, its hard not to pack them in with me. last time out i carried 4 cans of San Tan brewings (local, chandler az) HOPSHOCK. worth every ounce. Dales is ok too, but i reaallly like the bite of those grapefruity, piney (even if unbalanced) hops of the IPA.
    that's when its time to get another SKA brewing's MODUS HOPERANDI. a local place Four Peaks started doing their Sunbru and Kiltlifter in cans, the day they can the tasty HOPKNOT could be soon?
    a short list of canned beers that i have had the pleasure, i think worth carrying:
    Prescott Amber (az)
    Ska Modus Hoperandi
    San Tan Hopshock
    Dales Pale ale
    not real big on Scotch ale, but Ol Chub and Kiltlifter are fine for colder months.
    Harpoon IPA
    Niumbus A-1 (az)

want to try: Surly Abrasive

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

+1 to the Modus Hoperandi

And if you like MH but think Dale's is only OK, try Oscar Blues Gubna. An Imperial IPA that comes in a can. Fantastic! And 10% ABV so great bang for the weight (not the buck as it's pricey). And there's even a Blazing Saddles tribute on the back of the can. On short trips I always bring a MH and a Gubna along. Well worth the weight. Although maybe not the look my dog gives me like "Why is my pack so heavy?".

I also throw some in a ice chest with a frozen gallon of water. That lasts quite a while. And extras for people I meet on the trail or at the TH. It's always good to share.

Martha S.

@kitfox

1. Soak in a hotspring if available — ahhhhhh
    2. Clean(ish) clothes
    3. Greasy spoon breakfast with hiking buds — cuss and discuss the trip.
    4. Drive home — multiple lattes
    5. Arrive home. Kiss hubby. Several times
    6. Hot bath, shave legs, moisturize, etc. = remind myself that I'm a girl
    7. Day after — clean gear, repack gear — ready for the next trip!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

In N Out
    shower at home
    wife time
    beer

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

"a short list of canned beers that i have had the pleasure, i think worth carrying:
    Prescott Amber (az)
    Ska Modus Hoperandi
    San Tan Hopshock
    Dales Pale ale
    not real big on Scotch ale, but Ol Chub and Kiltlifter are fine for colder months.
    Harpoon IPA
    Niumbus A-1 (az)

want to try: Surly Abrasive"

Old Speckled Hen in a can is mighty fine too!

old speckled hen

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Model Especial makes it my pack quite often. 24oz means there is enough to share. And hey, it's imported.

Robert Burke
    BPL Member

@coastiebob

Locale: Wishing I was Backpacking

All I can think of is pancakes. With lots of syrup from pretty much anyplace that will serve them to me. I am not too picky as long as they are not the pancakes you get from the toaster. Those are hard and much more like frisbees than pancakes.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

"there's even a Blazing Saddles tribute on the back of the can"

found on the new "where all the white women at?" pale ale..!

Karl Myers
    Spectator

@kmyers1234

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Phone call to dad to tell him i made it down usually followed by endless reminiscences of his "golden years" in the hills, this conversation lasts anywhere from 10 seconds to a couple hours.

Directly following the phone call I find the nearest store and buy a snickers bar and a bottle of one of the following:

1) Hop Czar Imperial IPA
    2) Ninkasi Total Domination IPA
    3) Alaskan Amber
    4) Midnight Sun Sockeye Red IPA
    5) Deschutes Twilight Summer Ale

Nothing however beats gettin home and curling up on the couch with my blood hound Hank and watchin a movie

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

Enjoyable thread, Ike; good idea!

Definitely a 'hospital bath' Immediately upon reaching the car, and a change of clothes. Then,

Lots of soda! Refills all the way home! I drink plain water at home, but several days of the back country fires-up my sweet tooth. Before hitting the trail, like many, I prepare a cooler with ice (and soda), then hide it completely from our notorious Sierra black bears (especially Yosemite!).

Years ago, a trip into Sequoia meant a big, fat, juicy double cheese burger, double fries, and a chocolate shake (from Fudrucker's in Fresno)! Now, it's a belly-buster size burrito from a place in Modesto, after coming out of Yosemite.

After pizza and root beer a several years ago, it's been: anything & Root Beer ever since. So good after a hike.

Once home, even if it's 2 am, a LONG, HOT shower. All the way 'til the water heater's got nothing left.

My wife will ask about the trip, and I, still amp'ed, proceed to tell her more than she really wants to know. (She's quite understanding about this part!)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Change into clean clothes stashed in the car, then usually find a Sheetz for hot greasy sandwiches and pop. Occasionally stop at some restaurant instead – Cracker Barrel is a favorite. When I finally get home I most always unpack right away, shake out/hang my gear, wash my cooking stuff and wash my clothes, regardless of what time it is, and then shower.

Allan Peretz

@alibi

Locale: The Ozarks

On the way back home from my favorite "go to" day hike (the Butterfield Hiking Trail, AR), there are really only two choices available- Sonic and McDonalds. I always go to Sonic and get a Lime "Creamslush Treat" (essentially an icee with softserve ice cream mixed in) and a Sonic Cheeseburger.

I finish the burger there and drink the Creamslush on the drive. Somehow, the slush always lasts exactly long enough for me to get home, and keeps me in bliss the entire way!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Allan, we are just starting to get some Sonic Burgers in Northern California. Tried one out the other day……NICE!

For post hike burgers the list would be in order
    1. In N Out
    2. 5 Guys
    3. Sonic

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

At Quincey's in Damascus, VA last year at the end of a section hike on the AT.

Thick juicy Smokehouse Burger with all the trimmings and a couple of Hornsbys Hard apple ciders.

Then came desert.

An apple crepe that covered half of a full size dinner plate. The other half was covered by vanilla ice cream drizzled with a caramel sauce.

There were no leftovers. :-)

If you are going through Damascus do not pass Quincey's without stopping in to eat.

BTW they cater to hikers. We got into town late directly from the trail. We dropped our packs at the car and immediately walked right in and sat down to a good meal.

This was followed by a short walk across the street to Dave's Place, a hiker hostel, for a shower and a good night's sleep before starting the drive home the next day.

Party On,

Newton

Jack Marler

@jacknewman

Locale: Mississippi River Valley

When I got out of the Bob Marshall I was faced with a 30 hour drive home and had not actually decided what route to take. I wiped down and changed clothing, got a cold PowerAde from the cooler that I had in the van and drove to the first place that sold sub-sandwiches. (Exxon station in Choteau)
    Fresh hot coffee, PowerAde and the occasional sub, was my practice on the way home
    Newman

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Cold beer if the company is good.

If there's a long ride home, maybe getting under a faucet/in a hotspring/nearby stream .. or checking out one of those proprietors with showers for hikers (like right outside Canyonlands N.P. ).

Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

Locale: Cumberland Plateau

My friends and I seek out Southern BBQ after every hike if we can. The more of a mom and pop shop the better. Nothing like getting elbow deep in BBQ sauce after a long trip!

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

A giant greasy meal that varies depending on mood, a strong drink, and trying to convince my girlfriend to rate my stink on a scale of 1-10 while she pushes me into the shower…

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I like Mexican food after a big hike.

deanna gaither

@deannag

Locale: NorCal Sierra Foothills

After backpacking in Desolation Wilderness, leaving the Eagle Falls Trailhead – change into flip flops & I head STRAIGHT for The Burger Lounge in South Lake Tahoe on hwy89. Black & Blue burger (blackened spices and blue cheese smear) with garlic fries and a soda!

While the burger is cooking, go clean my face and legs in the bathroom, after using a real commode!

Then home to a hot bath to decompress and savor the last moments before life as usual resumes. (ie; work)

deanna gaither

@deannag

Locale: NorCal Sierra Foothills

Bwahahaha about the AT.

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

We love a tasty salad bar after a hike. Fresh fruits, veggies, salad dressings, and all.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Piper, you make me miss santa barbara and socal. Decent Mexican food is unheard of over here. I have fond memories of Freebirds, Super Cucas, The Cantina…sigh. Albeit, they were all in Isla Vista, which I have no desire to return to. But man, I liked Cantina's breakfast burritos so much that the one time I got food poisoning from them, I still went back the next day.

These days, I'm all about carboloading with a Mickey D's McGriddle on the way to the trail, and scoping out a local mom/pop BBQ joint on the way back home. Nothing like starting a hike with a McBrick in your gut.

While, I'm normally pretty messy/unorganized when it comes to everyday living, I'm adamant about cleaning my gear the minute I get home. Down bags and quilts get aired out, trekking poles taken apart to wipe out moisture, shoes/boots go into the bathtub for some toothbrush cleaning, tents are repitched for airing out and wiping down, water bottles rinsed, food cozy washed, etc etc. At least I have my priorities straight right?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

We always like to go to La Salsa, Super Cucas on Micheltorena or Mexican Fresh on the Mesa. I think La Salsa is gone now. Mexican food is perfect after a hike. You got your salt, carbs and protein for recovery. Add a beer and you've got something for hydration and to take the edge off any pain from bushwhacking overgrown Los Padres trails.

Oddly while hiking the PCT I never craved Mexican food. I craved pancake sandwiches. Now that I'm back home in Alta California, Mexican hits the spot.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Rinse off with the 5 gallon jug of water I left in my truck, throw on some fresh clothes and then find the nearest hole in the wall taco shop.

No shortage of authentic, good Mexican food in CA.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools