Topic

What is YOUR luxury item

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is YOUR luxury item

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Good Scotch.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

…and a noon-day fire-starter

Bender, I'm diggin' it. Where did you find one?

BTW, I received the DAM – looks great!

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

A good dram of scotish single malt

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

my solaris 3 winged solar panel on top of my pack ~7 oz

plus my ipod and headphones, i make speakers out of my cookpot if i need speakers.

and a book.

with my family we bring a metal unfolding table we got at REI. my dad has always tried to convince me that its useful, but i dont know why my stove needs to be 4 inches off the ground.

another person i know brings a lightweight hatchet. go figure, i guess HYOH, right?

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

IPhone (or iPod Nano if I'm feeling lucky) plus a AA battery charger on long-distance hikes:

1. The phone part of the iPhone, JIC (and to report to my wife that I'm not dead at the bottom of some ravine)

2. The iPod part because I can have eBooks, audiobooks, music, and even movies for the weight of a single paperback. There's nothing quite like drifting to sleep to the sound of Ralph Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.

Stargazer

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Some folks would say a little brown liquor is mandatory. Bourbon for me.

Thermarest Compak chair. Brunton weather station.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I carry a little Everclear flavored with lemon zest or caraway seed. Dilute it before drinking. Tastes better than it sounds. It can also be used for treating feet and for sterilization.

On kayak trips, when conditions are rough and your ears are wet a lot, a couple drops in each ear helps dry them. Prevents ear infections which can be common if they are constantly damp inside.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Tequila, doesn't always make it, however I never regret it when it does.

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

Since I can't really sleep on CCF I don't consider my Prolite 4 a luxury item :) However, if there's any chance of picking up a decent radio station I bring my Grundig M400 pocket radio. 3.4oz with lithium AAA's and worth every bit. Multiple-use as timepiece and alarm clock. It has a great old-timey sound and even gets short-wave (kinda). And then there's the beer…

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I bring my wife and son. They complicate things, but are worth it.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Seconded. A nice sip of malt from a pewter hipflask while taking it easy in a thermarest chair takes some beating.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

A small flask of Jack Daniel's

On base camp hikes, DownMat7 and a small lantern

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

Ipod mini speaker and evening libation for sure. Also FF down socks. Nothing better than toasty feet. Some would call my hammock a luxury item. I'm not sure there is much of a weight penalty any more for hanging; except in the winter months.

Fresh food is for sure a luxury item. Often we'll bring along non-dehydrated meats and vegetables for the first night out to cook on the campfire and splurge a little bit.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I don't consider it a luxury item but it is the heaviest thing in my pack at 21oz…24" wide down mat. In the past I would say the one luxury item I carried fairly regularly was a 3lb propane powered hot water heater with pressurized water shower. That was pure luxury!

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

A beer or two for the first night, bourbon for the rest.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

if you're from a big city like me, SILENCE is a luxury – i take it into the backcountry at no weight penalty.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Aaron search eBay for Fresnel lens. I'm glad you like the air mat!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"If you're from a big city like me, SILENCE is a luxury – I take it into the backcountry at no weight penalty."

I live in the second largest city in the US — blissfully single — and the noise level is just fine. There are many moments of silence to be enjoyed. It ain't the city that's bothering men across our nation. It's the wife and kids. Heh heh…

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Almost everything I carry. I could get by with an overcoat and a jar of peanut butter.

The one I get the most flak for isn't a single item- rather the choice to have 4 hot drinks or meals and a steamed cupcake every day. The item that goes with that is a Jetboil because it makes a cuppa very simple and easy.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

LOL, Ben.. ain't that the troof

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

GPS

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

ALWAYS: My old full length Thermarest Lite mattress (like Mr. Willims I crave a good night's sleep)

SOMETIMES: Garmin Colorado 300 GPS

SELDOM: Wild Turkey honey liqueor

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I saw 'Depends' and had to see. I was thinking you slept in them and could relieve yourself in the tent… then I read

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Lantern with PLENTY of fuel. I wanted to leave it home on the up coming trip to Yosemite but the wife nixed that idea. At least I won't have to carry the fuel the entire time. :8^)

BTW, Wine/beer are not luxury items. They are necessary consumables!

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

When hiking long distance solo or with my BIL just some 151 to mix with some powdered drink mix is luxury most times. When doing an easy solo I will bring a book and some better booze. Those are enjoyable afternoons.

I am going on a hike this weekend that is about half my normal distance, and with a group so I expect the pace to be easy too. We are going to a hot spring so I am taking frozen Margaritas in an insulated cover for some fire and ice action.

Oh yeah, I am taking one of those light (not UL, not Heavy) 2P double-wall tents that we are testing too…

;-)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools