Topic

My Kelty Zen clone from 5.25 down to 2.25 pounds!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My Kelty Zen clone from 5.25 down to 2.25 pounds!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    >> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

My Kelty Zen from 1998 was on its last leg so I decided to remake it out of much lighter materials. Instead of having a full inner tent I have a 1 piece bathtub floor that will be attached to the outer tent with no-see-um mesh. Today I set it up for a few pictures & last measurements before the floor is permanently attached & mesh inner door is added. The original weigh with absolutely everything to set it up in the bag was 5.25 pounds. The new version will be right around 2.25 pounds when completed.

Here are the materials I used.

9 linear yards of OWFINC 1.3oz sil-nylon
    no-see-um mesh
    300D Cordura reinforcements
    #3 YKK zipper
    1/2" grosgrain
    6 Lineloc 3 guy line adjusters
    Easton Nanolite poles & original pole arches
    8 MSR needle stakes
    2.5mm guy line
    Various new snaps & recycled grommets from old tent

For size reference the air mat is 72×20".

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Wow! That looks great Bender. Share with us a little bit about the process, did you dissect and use the old fabric panels as patterns for the 1.3 oz. silnylon? Looking forward to seeing more pics with the attached floor and netting door. I'm assuming that tent sleeps 2? Also, is that a double walled tent? The top photo looks like a rain fly?

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Nice job! That looks like a fairly stout design – was the original pretty sturdy in windy conditions?

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Eugene I cut the old tent up and used it as a pattern. The original was 2 wall but this one is single wall. I had to do a few tweaks to the design to make it work this way. Two people fit fine. It even feels more roomy inside without the inner tent.

Aaron the original never had problems in the wind.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

That looks like a lot of work!
    Ive been tempted to remake something like SD lightning or clip in UL materials, but I don't have the patients when it comes to sewing to do a project that big.
    Well done.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nice. I have a Walrus Velodome that I've been thinking about redoing the fly. Now you really got me thinking………..

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Um … elegant! And clean!

A photo of it pitched on a high mountain alp would be nice … :-)

Cheers

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Bender,
    Could you ballpark the cost of such a process? Many variables, yes, but any figure inside Fenway park will do.

Nicholas Miller
    BPL Member

@nmiller08

Locale: Montana

Beautiful work Bender! it looks good, and as another stated very stable looking. It looks like there might be a little vestibule up front, will it have an entirely netting door at the front of the bathtub?

edit: so excited about looking at your pictures I forgot to read…answered my own question!

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Roger I have you to blame for catching the MYOG bug from your sewing tips grrrr!

If you are going to remake a tent it is much easier to do it one piece at a time. This took an incredible amount of labor and I'm still not quite finished. I was scared it would not pitch taught so it was nice to see it setup today. I will get more pictures when finished.

I have enough material left to make a tent of my own design. I have it all drawn up, waiting for me to cut and stitch. This one should be 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound less built for 1 person with gear. Basically it will be a single pole hex mid.

Nicholas – Yes it has a small vestibule between the 2 doors.

Travis – The nylon was $41.49, poles were $29.50, mesh $4.90 and misc items like cord locks, cord, zippers & grosgrain were cheap. I would say roughly $85 in materials. The new poles were necessary in this case. One had broken around the insert and the others were severely corroded the same place.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Very nice!

It looks like it has a lot of headroom. Are the measurements the same as the original Kelty?

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Yes ray the dimensions are the same as the original Kelty.

Joren Martin

@layindownlife

the tent looks awesome, but I have a different perdicament. my tent is in great shape, but last I put it up, the main pole bent and ended up broken. I've looked about everywhere I know of and I can't find a new pole. you said you bought some for $30. can I ask where? I hate mising out on this season beacuse my favorite tent is missing a pole.

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

Bender that looks really well put together and clean. The stiching in the photo with the MSR stake looks cool.

It actually looks like a taller version of a Nemo Morpho.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

questoutfitters has pole pieces you can get.

-Tim

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Great Job on the Tent! Do I see an internal pole sleeve?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Is that zipper going to be okay in a big downpour? It looks like you've used a regular #3 YKK zip mounted backwards without a flap.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Yes the tent has 2 internal pole sleeves. With sil-nylon the poles slip through very easily. As pictured the zipper didn't have its rain flap yet. Also the no-see-um mesh wasn't finished along the perimeter or for the doorway. All seams are now sealed with windshield silicon. I replaced the original bent pole arches so weight went down again. I need to get final pics and weights. I can only imagine what this would be like using Cuben & carbon poles.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Beautiful job!

Just a note of caution about poles. My old SD lightning did really well in a storm at 7000 feet fuly pitched, but fracured a pole in a lesser wind when I had it pitched fly only. The inner does provide quite a bit of stability and supporting tension.

Maybe worth putting some loops on the inner sleeves you can tie some cross bracing cordage to in a high wind?

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Rog I was thinking about adding a loops for a gear loft. Perhaps this can also be used for cross bracing lines.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools