Topic

Long challenging day hikes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Long challenging day hikes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

Got a Vacation coming up and I'm still collecting all my lightweight gear. So instead of backpacking, I am looking to still get out on the trail and hike.

I'm looking for ideas for long day hikes. Id prefer loops but anything could work. Something like the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim or Mt. Whitney. I from Michigan so the closer to the Midwest the better. I'm kinda thinking the Colorado area is where I will be heading. Any good websites? Id like to find a place where there are a couple of trails with in a decent driving time.

Any input or ideas is appreciated.

Thanks
    Andy

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Would be my vote. Loads of great dayhikes.

In TNP, the Cascade-Paintbrush loop is fantastic. Plenty of other 20+ mile loops are possible.

In Yellowstone, Specimen Ridge and Mt. Sheridan are the most obvious candidates. Both world class. Specimen requires a hitch back at the end of the day.

Another Yellowstone option is to start in Gardiner, hike up the road a bit, then up through the Rescue Creek Trail, then return via the Black Canyon of the Yellowstone.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Check out Rocky Mountain National Park. So many options for you. Also, you could base in Boulder and/or Estes Park and/or Grand Lake–all three towns offer different things and all are enjoyable (I was born and raised in CO and lived in Boulder for around 8 years).

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

There are countless day hikes/overnighters in the Crested Butte, Colorado area. Conundrum Hot Springs is a favorite, but popular, so go on a weekday.

The earlier post about Grand Teton and Yellowstone is right on target – best backpacking area I've ever been to, with plenty of day hiking opportunities.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

The area around Moab is a great alternative to the other wonderful suggestions, particularly if you are thinking during the winter or shoulder seasons. There is Arches, Canyonlands (Needles, Maze, Islands in the Sky), Slickrock (mtn.biking), and the Colorado River.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomclark1/sets/72157602580188376/

The Three Sisters Wilderness area in Oregon has glaciers, 10,000 ft volcanoes, lava flows, hemlock forests, hot springs, waterfalls, etc. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomclark1/sets/72157602580188376/

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

Thanks for all the ideas. Just did a fun 18 miles on the Jordan river pathway this weekend here in Michigan.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools