Topic

Spilled food inside backpack – how to wash so bears don’t ear it

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Spilled food inside backpack – how to wash so bears don’t ear it

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    christopher reeves

@ionstram

As the title of the post said, there has been a food spill inside one of my backpacks, an REI UL 45. Frankly I don't like the pack, and I'd just use my Golite Jam2, but sometimes I have to take the girlfriend with me.

There is chocolate residue on the inside of the pack, quite a bit of it. Can I remove the internal frames and soak the pack in my bathtub? If so, should I just use regular laundry detergent? I live in Southern California and hike the eastern Sierras, San Gorgonio and San Jacinto mountains.

Thanks in advance!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hey, I've been there. What a waste of chocolate. If you have a front loading machine, take the frame out and wash in warm. Spray and wash works great. Turn the pack inside out and stick it in there. Air dry. If you have a regular machine the turning inside out and zipping shut as much as you can will keep the straps under control and not wound around the agitator.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools