Topic

Lightweight Rainwear 2008: Current Favorites, New Introductions, and New Technologies (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lightweight Rainwear 2008: Current Favorites, New Introductions, and New Technologies (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Yeah, but … I live in Florida … it's 80 degrees here in winter! :-)

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

Thanks for the great article, especially for the source on the Tyvek stuff.

I just picked up some of the tyvek raingear stuff from the source mentioned. I've yet to test it's level of water proofness other than splashing it with water but I'm suprised with the comfort and weight. I don't think it'd last 10 minutes in bushwacking brambles but for the rare use for rain pants it should do the trick wonderfully.

I must admit, I'm very interested in the concept of using the full body suit as a VBL. It's light and a lot more comfortable than most other options. I think I'm going to buy another batch and start hacking it for the MYOG projects as it seems to have some interesting possibilities and it's very economical.

I even got a pair of the booties to protect from having to put my boots back on for bathroom breaks from the tent.

They would also take very minimal trimming to make them into a nice pair of lightweight gaiters as well.

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

I forgot to mention that Tyvek coveralls are available in the paint section in Home Depot, and probably Lowe's as well. I saw them in two weights: regular and HD. They cost a little more, but no shipping.

I wore the HD coveralls in the rain on a recent trip and they worked quite well. The front zipper is not WP, but its vertical and doesn't leak much in ordinary rain. In camp they keep my clothes dry and clean after a rain, and they're pretty warm. The main issue is that you look like a haz-mat worker, so they are a bit embarrassing when you encounter other people!

Best,
    Will

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Will's new trailname is Hazmat..lol..kidding

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

careful you dont get shot by a Abominable Snowman hunter.

are these the same type as a hospital gown? If so, I can get them free! (one look at dry ducks and I knew)
    also I have seen asbestos abaters wear something similar.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Jason,
    any pictures and details of the Cruiser jacket?

BTW, for the people who don't know I just mention that you are a rep for Westcomb. Seems only fair to give this info. Can't wait till they decide to come to Europe although I've understood that currently distributors in Europe are a bit reluctant given the amount of money they would need to invest themselfs.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

I've understood that Regatta, another European company that is coming out with Ion Mask shoes, is already experimenting with clothing. I believe the biggest issue with clothing is that the vacuum chambers needed for the application process need to be a lot bigger than for footwear.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been using Tyvek pants for many years. They were purchased from Grainger at least 8 or nine years ago in a box of 25. The first pair I pulled out lasted 7 years before I shredded them walking through knee high brush in the GCNP. They kept me dry but all of my hiking is in the Sierras and the southwest where the rain is mostly short term showers rarely lasting more than a few hours.

In the last couple of years I have split the bottom out of several new pairs worn the first or second time, so I question the reliability of safety clothing as rain apparel. However, I haven’t lost my enthusiasm for Tyvek. It is a wonder material for lightweight gear.

I have been using Henry Shires Tyvek prototypes for the last 10 months and give this material the highest rating as material for a shelter. As Sam pointed out above, it is weightless and it also sheds water while remaining very breathable. I have yet to experience condensation. But it is also very inexpensive. Henry’s Sublite is $179 while Oware and MLD sell their spinnaker and cuben stuff for small fortunes when it is even available.

The Sublite protected me in a battering hail storm on an afternoon in the early part of August. I was sweaty and damp when I climbed into the tent where I stayed for over an hour with no condensation. The steady availability, low cost, lightweight and breathable characteristics of Tyvek make this material ideal for lightweight gear.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Nice article.

The new production process for eVENT is an interesting one. I don't know if increases in breathabilty will be significant but one thing I've learned is that it gives some sort of self healing properties for the oleophobic coating. The process is supposed to use CO2 in a supercritical state as a carrier for the oleophobic particles that will coat the inner of the membrane. This proces should make for a more even and thinner coating surface leaving more of the membrane structure porous. The CO2 is recycled so it should be fairly environmentally friendly.

What the remarks about the breathability of Entrant concerns, it's worthy to note that there are different versions of Entrant. In the breathability article here on the site, it was Entrant G2 XT that was being discussed, being tested in the famous Gibson graphs. I'm not sure if Entrant DT works exactly the same as Entrant G2XT so that you could say that Entrant has better breathability like e.g. GTX XCR. I remember a review on this site from a couple years ago from a jacket using Entrant DT and breathability was just average.

BTW, you mention H2No and Hyvent DT as examples of hydrophilic PU membranes. But if not mistaken, H2No (or at least the 2,5 layer version) and Hyvent DT are products made by Toray and nothing less than propriatary formulations of Entrant DT. I'm pretty certain about this. Toray promoted Entrant DT a couple years ago and used the Patagonia spraymaster as an example. It also showed TNF jackets in their booth. I'm not sure about the 3-layer Patagonia jackets. The membrane is probably Toray based but I'm not sure if it's Entrant-like or more Dermizax like.

The exact source of Breeze Dry-tex remains a secret but I've doen some research. Montbell is Japanese and propably the source of breeze dry tec is also japanese e.g. Toray, Mitsui, … I've found two things which could correspond to Breeze Dry-tec. The microscopic picture of Breeze Dry-tec on the Montbell website is just the same than a picture on the Toray website for a membrane called Dermizax MP. Dermizax MP is a microporous PU membrane which sounds a lot like Breeze Dry-tec.
    Another candidate could be a product from Komatsu Seiren called Dima Quartet. From what I've understood it's microporous and air breathable just like Brzze Dry-tec. Just speculation but who knows.

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Thanks for the great article.

Interestingly, the Triumph and the Diad are already being discounted heavily online and in the local NF outlet store. Prices for the Triumph at a recent sale in the outlet store were 88.49 for the Diad and 78.74 for the Triumph. Weight, in men's medium, was 5.95 for the Triumph and 8.65 for the Diad, a little more than spec, but still very light.

The light Hyvent fabric has a very nice hand–for example, turning ones head with a cinched down hood doesn't require huge neck muscles or leave you staring in confusion at the inside of your hood.

And I wonder if the Triumph might not do double duty as a quasi VBL? It feels decent enough against bare skin, and wouldn't get as clammy as a true VBL, but might still give some of the same advantages because of the slowed evaporation of insensible perspiration.

It is true that adjusting the hood seems as if it would be challenging except under optimal conditions, like staring into a full length mirror in a comfortably heated bathroom, but I've yet to find the hood that is easy to adjust in conditions when one would want to adjust it.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

FWIW I got a flyer the other day from REI noting they're coming out with their own eVent raingear, which could bring the price of entry down considerably.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

REI has had their own brand eVENT jacket in the stores since mid summer. http://www.rei.com/product/770843. Currently it's $289 for a mountain style jacket. Hopefully they will do a lighter / cheaper jacket later.

greg degler

@gregdegler

Locale: West

G'day fellow Backpackinglighters,
    Doesn't seem to be too much info here on new waterproof/breathable jackets/pants.
    I've used 2 sets of Rainshield/DriDucks to complete 1,100 miles of A.T.
    Review:(scale of 1-5)
    Comfort 5
    Waterproof 4
    Durability 1
    Price 4
    I really like them EXCEPT the crotch on the pant separates after just so much walking, other than that they're great………if you're careful.
    BTW, have used the Mountain Laurel Designs eVent Rain Mitten for 3 years. Review: 5stars in every category!
    So, now I am hoping to find some fantastic NEW (July 2009) options. Any SUB-6oz suggestions out there?

Thanks,

TheThriftstoreMountaineer

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools