Topic

Tilley hat – which one?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tilley hat – which one?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I noticed alot of ultralighters include Tilley hats among their gear lists. Which one would you recommend for summer use?

Weight is of course an issue as well packability. Will the hats retain their shape after crammed into a pack?

thanks
    David

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

I've used a Tilley LT5 for four years and I am very satisfied. I forget how much the thing weighs – perhaps in the 3 oz range. Certainly it will retain its shape if stuffed in your pack – it's pretty well indestructible. In any case, I don't pack the hat. I just suspend over my chest by the chin strap until I need it. As for which hat, well there are several choices and Tilley has an excellent website. Tilleys are expensive, but they will last for ever.

Cheers

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I've got the LMT8.
    Love it!
    3.8 oz.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I've got an LT5 but find it too hot in warm weather for hiking. It does not breath well.

Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

I've worn Tilleys since 1993 and wholeheartedly recommend them. The T3 is an excellent all-rounder, plenty of shade in summer and enough of a brim to keep the rain off. It's probably the most commonly seen Tilley (the one with the snaps on the sides) with good reason. It crumples if stuffed in a pack, but a slight dampening of the fabric lets you smooth it back into shape. The T1 is also worth a look, smaller brim and more of a "bucket" shape.

Ignoring the Winter styles (although they're pretty good too) I also have an LT5, one of the synthetic models, which holds its shape well and is very light to wear. Despite the fact that it dries more quickly than the cotton T3 and weighs less I can't say I'd recommend it more for backpacking – the T3 just seems to be a little more versatile and I like the fabric. Haven't tried the hemp hats yet so I can't comment on those.

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

"I've got an LT5 but find it too hot in warm weather for hiking. It does not breath well."

I have the same problem in AZ. Sometimes I wear a soaking wet bandanna under my tilley for some evaporative cooling effects.

Mark Mendell
    BPL Member

@mmendell

Locale: Midwest

3.6 oz by my scale. Synthetic and dries quickly.

Great hat.

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

I've got a modified LTM6 that is near perfect. Take a look at this old thread for my mods.

Cheers,

-Mike

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

LT6 is my favorite. Size 7 3/4 at only 3.5 oz. I like the fast drying nylon. I wore it on a hike in hot, muggy weather yesterday. It's easy to wash. The brim softens with age and when wet. But it stays stiff enough to keep the rain off my face. I've sprayed it with a DWR for winter use.

The wider brim of the LT6 gives me more of the shade that I need. I also have the cotton T5 and a hemp TH5. The LT6 is the hat I take hiking year round.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=915&skip_to_post=13477#13477

James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

Locale: Pacific NW

I bought an LT-5 and found it way too hot, so I bought an LT-3. Again, far too hot and the sweatband is inadequate so perspiration rolls down into my eyes. I used a bandanna around my forehead to keep the perspiration out of my eyes but then found wearing the hat a bit cumbersome. I think it may depend on how easily and how much you perspire and whether you mind it running into your eyes. I emailed Tilley last summer suggesting using a nice coolmax headband or something similar in the LT-3 but don't know if the new models incorporate such a thing.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Try a hemp Tilley. The TH5 breathes very well. Any hat will heat up your head but this one breathes better than any other full-brimmed hat I've tried. Tilley also makes hats with vents, called the Air-Flo I think.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Is this the same hat?

http://www.rei.com/product/721740

How much does it weigh?

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

I have been using an LT6 for the last year. I picked one up because i had burned my ears so bad when using a baseball style cap. I used to not like any type of hat, however, I do find a hat solves a few problems such as sun directly in the eyes, I use less sunscreen (usually none at all), and when it rains a brimmed hat is helpful in keeping rain away from my head.

The tradeoff with wearing a hat is the sweat. The LT6 does seem to get warm but the headband wicks moisture quite well. i have not had a problem with sweat in my eyes. I bought this hat because it fit. Haven't tried any other Tilly's but i do like it.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I've been using a Henschel Breezer hat for hiking & backpacking for several years. It's 3" stiching reinforced brim stays stiff in the rain + doesn't fold up in the wind. Plus, it's mesh sides are almost as breezy as not wearing a hat, yet don't allow in enough sun to tan the sides of my head. (The mesh lets in at least half of wind-blown rain though). The hat only costs around $25-30, but still looks new even after years of wear – but I don't wad it up and stuff it into my pack, so that may help.

http://www.henschelhats.com/cat07p14-15.html

Steven Nelson
    BPL Member

@slnsf

Locale: Northern California

I have an LT6 and LTM8 and like them both, though the LT6 is my favorite. I wear it every month of the year for backpacking and snow camping.

Nathan Hodges

@hodgey12

This is just like the LT6 but with the new breathable nylon blend. It makes the fabric a little stretchy. It breathes better than the LT6 and is lighter. I love mine, seems to pack easy and hold shape after having been packed.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Now I can't decide if I want the broader-brimmed LT6 or LT5. I definitely want the breathable or mesh version. If the "breathable" version is really breathable, then this seems the winner b/c it would repel more water than the mesh version.

Difference in weight aside, my concern with the larger LT6 is that it will obstruct my vision or flop around in the wind. My current hat, an REI Sahara Outback (I think), does this. When the wind blows, the front brim flops in front of my eyes, which is very annoying.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I have an LTM3 size 7 that I don't use if anybody is looking for one.

I wish I could get a dark brown nylon hat that looks like Indiana Jones style. I'm also seriously considering a Sunday Afternoons Sport hat.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hi Nathan,

How much more breathable would you say the "B" series is? I've got an LT5 and find it too hot. I've also got one of the airflow models but have not really used it much. Did you find your LT6 to be too hot?

Thanks.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

I've been considering the LTM series LTM8 or LTM10) with the full mesh crown. I wonder what the breathability difference would be between it and the B series.

Steven Nelson
    BPL Member

@slnsf

I don't find the LTM8 that much more breathable than the LTM6 – and the mesh can soak up a fair amount of moisture.

I'm tempted to try the LT6B and see if it's any more effective.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

OK, I think I've narrowed it down to these. Help me choose!

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I have the LT6B and I find the bigger brim preferable in every way but one: it precludes using a head net during bug season. The net can't fit over it. No biggie though. On days when a head net is needed, just wear a ball cap.

If you're after a wide brimmed hat like a Tilley, then get it with a wide brim!

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Last month I bought a Tilly Air-flow and have had a chance to use a couple of times. I can definitely certify that it is a lot cooler than my Filson! But then we haven't had any really hot weather yet; however, I expect it to perform better than the average hat for a couple of reasons. One is that it is breathable nylon and polyester, not the Filson's waxed cotton which doesn't breath. Another is the loose fitting recommended by the maker (a two finger space at the forehead) which allows for air flow. After the hikes I noticed some interior condesation but not near the extent with the Filson; with that hat there is no air flow, only a water flow! At 3.3oz it's half the weight, too.

Steven Nelson
    BPL Member

@slnsf

Interesting – I have an LT6 (same size brim) and have no trouble using a bug net over it. Maybe it varies from brand to brand.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools