Topic

Yellowstone in Winter: An Igloo Traverse in America’s Oldest National Park

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Yellowstone in Winter: An Igloo Traverse in America’s Oldest National Park

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies
    Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Pure adventure in a unique landscape. I have enjoyed reading Chris Townsend's books and articles in the TGO magazine for several years. This is typical of his Good writing and excellent photography. I am sure others will enjoy finding out about his superb knowledge of equipment, photography and all things outdoors as he contributes to BPL.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Just before noon on April 22, RJ posts:

It will take a little time to bring Chris up to speed with our editorial process

This article appears about 11 hours later. Apparently Chris is a quick study, he-he.

Nice work too! Makes me anxious for next winter when I can get back to building skills (some gear too) for not-so-heavy winter travel.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Nice article and pictures. Igloo living! Extremely cool.

It would have been great to see a video of the team's hunt for the sausage stealing fox. : )

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ahh… Wonderful trip, excellent article, and beautiful pictures! This winter I built two igloos with my new Icebox tool and I can't wait to get out for a multi-day igloo trip in the future.

Thanks for showing the possibilities!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Very enjoyable read. I haven't built a real igloo before, but would love to tackle the project one day…they make it look so easy!

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

Thanks for the comments everybody. I appreciate it.

Igloos are great and "relatively" easy to build!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Chris, Ryan J or anyone else who might have winter Yellowstone experience.

I have a friend who's MN camping season started in October and ended in April … he refuses to tolerate perspiration and biting insects.

He moved west this spring and I figured Chris's article would interest him. But apparently he dislikes snowmobiles as much as skeeters.

Is it possible to get out of hearing range of those winter pests? If so, how far/high would we have to travel?

Ed Huesers
    BPL Member

@iglooed

You only need to get just past the top of the hills. Most hills are 300 to 500 ft. tall. Around the corner in a canyon would probable work to. There's lots of trees so there isn't much of an echo. I found the exhaust fans from the kitchen at the Snow Lodge to be more annoying. They ran late into the night.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools