Topic

easy shelter design

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear easy shelter design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

Hey all,

I'm wondering where i could go to find a VERY easy shelter design. I have made many stuff sacks and am happy with my results. I want to try an easy design first to get some seams down and show my self i can (as this will be my first attempt at my shelter). Any designs will be helpful, but i have seen the design on six moons and i want that to be my next attempt. However i want to try something easier first.

mark henley

@flash582

There's nothing quite as easy as making a tarp for a shelter ….. it's a great second project.

Ryan Stoughton
    BPL Member

@txtengu

Locale: Seattle

I made one of Ray Jardine's tarp and net tent kits a while back and found it fairly simple to make. I had only sewn a couple of stuff sacks and one of his quilts before, but I made it through the project with limited amounts of frustrations and cursing. All of which were material based. (Sil can be somewhat frustrating to sew with at first until you get the hang of it.) I've found all of Ray's kits to be excellent in quality of materials as well as instructions. And it's pretty hard to beat the prices!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Part of BackpackingLight.com's premium is a series of projects for MYOGers wishing to turn 5 yards of fabric into a stuff sack, tarp and backpack.

I followed the author Jay Hamm's quality directions and successfully sewed a nicely featured tarp which turned out to be both durable and functional.

Other possibilities are free tarp plans for Henry Shires Tarptent (tarptent.com) and Ron Moak's Nightwing Tarp (sixmoondesigns.com).

Ben Strickland

@ben_strickland

Locale: Georgia

About the easiest shelter I know to make is a simple rectangular tarp. If you know how to sew a flat-felled seam then you should be good. I made one as my first shelter. All it takes is a flat felled seam down the center, some hemming around the edges, and some bar tacking of webbing tie-outs on the ridge and corners.

Apart from that I highly recommend Ray Jardine's tarp kit. Not only does it provide you with all of the materials you need at a reasonable price, but his instructions are absolutely unbeatable.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools