Topic

Bear bag vs. Bear Canister

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Bear bag vs. Bear Canister

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Darwin Roos

@darwin

Locale: Bloomington, IN

I'm planning to do the Superior Trail in Minnesota in the next couple of weeks and I'm wanting to go as light as possible. Since there are possibly going to be bears, should I use a bear bag or bear canister?

Darwin
    [email protected]

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Yes. Use a bear bag or a bear canister.

I only mess with a canister where required. The rest of the time I use a light sil-cordura dry sack and light cord to hang it. Shouldn't be a problem with hangin' trees in northern MN!

Darwin Roos

@darwin

Locale: Bloomington, IN

Dear Jason,

After getting a lot of input, I think I'm just going to hoist my whole backpack (through the shoulder straps and hip belt) up a tree or between trees each night, except for my sleeping stuff. It seems that that would be the safest, lightest and cheapest way to approach this. Please let me know if you disagree about any of this. Thank you.
    Take care.

Darwin

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Only risk to the pack hoist approach is that everything gets wet in the rain (straps and belt too). Otherwise it should work great.

The decision between canister and hanging, for me, comes down to how suitable the trees are for hanging, and of course any regulations that specify. Anything hung in a tree needs to be beyond the bear's reach when he climbs the tree and sticks a paw out. That's several feet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools