Topic

Repairing 9″ Easton alloy stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Repairing 9″ Easton alloy stakes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Danny Sharp
    Spectator

@dannyj

Locale: Australia

The heads are starting to pull off my Easton stakes, can I re-glue them back on, if so what is the best glue. Or would it be best to pin them?

Cheers

Danny

Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

Locale: Down Under

I've got a few heads coming off as well, so with a bit of Google-fu, I found this thread where Ron Bell recommends a small dab of epoxy glue.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64874&startat=20

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Danny,
    Contact Easton via email. They may send new stakes. They have in the past.

The failures occur because the head was not completed seated. Subsequent pounding drives the head onto the stake, shearing the bond.

If you re-bond, do your best to clean out the head and the top of the stake to avoid a repeat.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Huh. I've lost 5 heads from 2 different batches of Easton stakes in the past 2 trips. And I never hammer my stakes, I just use my foot to push them in.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Jennifer,
    The new version or the "originals"?

If new, I'm sure you can get them replaced. From the thread above, PM Clint with details (first post). He seems sincere in understanding what's going on, and ready to help.

If old, I wonder if the epoxy ages and gets brittle.

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

I like the easton stakes but got tired of the heads pulling off regularly. I drilled thru the head and shaft and used rivets long enough to go all the way thru. I've hammered them with rocks and actually pretzeled one but the heads remain attached.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I had the same issue with some from Tarp Tent, Henry advised
    a dab of glue, that was years ago and no issues since.

Danny Sharp
    Spectator

@dannyj

Locale: Australia

Thanks I'll email Easton today and see what they say, these are new stakes and I've never hit them with a rock. I went to pull them out of the soft grassy soil and off came the head. I would rather repair them myself than send them back but I'll see what they say first.

Cheers

Danny

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I've always cleaned out the old epoxy, roughed up the surfaces with sandpaper a little, and then re-epoxied them while being certain to seat the heads on fully. Don't be stingy with the epoxy. I always have a bead of extra epoxy around the head.

Also, wiggling the stakes a little to 2-4 directions before pulling out reduces the pulling force and likelihood of a stake decapitation.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools