Topic

Pertex Equilibrium

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pertex Equilibrium

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    x x
    BPL Member

@miikkapakarinen

Hey guys! I want to talk about the perfect windshell for you!

Lately there has been a lot of discussion about windshells and breathability etc. I would like to start a discussion on the idea, that we would branstorm the topic: perfect windshell.

I recently got Rab's Alpine jacket which is made out of Pertex Equilibriums fabric. I like the fabric ALOT! But I feel that the Rab's jacket has too many bells and whistles for me. And it's abit heavy for the gram counters (a little over 200g).

I noticed that the Westcomb's Crest jacket is made of the same fabric and is more minimalistic, but it seems hard to get hold off.

But back to the point. Comparing the Rab Alpine to my Patagonia Houdini jacket (2012 model) I'm convinced that higher breathability fabric is the way to go, and I thinks Pertex' fabric is very ideal, at least for me.

In my opinion the windshell is one of the most important layers on 3 season hiking and I don't mind carrying extra weight to get better functioning and more comfortable jacket. The trend seems to be that windshirts are getting lighter and lighter but breathability is suffering drastically.

I have been thinking alot about a perfect windshell for me. I think that a hoody made (1/4 zip) out of Pertex Equilibrium would be absolutely amazing. Also I think it wouldn't even be that heavy, if removed of all non-essential stuff. I would be the first one to buy said jacket if one of the manufacturers, big or small, would make one.

It would be great if we could find some common ground etc. to design a hypothetical windshell jacket that would be UL's dream! Maybe something good might come out of it!

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I have the Westcomb Crest and I agree that it is nearly the perfect windshell. It's breathable, highly water resistant and very lightweight.

I am a little concerned about durability. One of my regular travel bags is made of 1000D Cordura and it seems to have caused a little pilling on the lower back of the jacket. But it breathes good and fits great, so I dig it.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Having a hood or waist drawcord is important to me, which the Crest doesn't have.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

My ideal seems to shift the more time I spend outside, but a form fitting pertex equilibrium 1/2 zip with some stretch & elasticated everything (no cords or straps) with a chest pocket stuff sack would be about perfect as an all arounder.

The alpine is already close to perfect for BC skiing because of the helmet hood and skin pockets for quick transitions.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Totally agree.
    I have the Rab Alpine Jacket and love it. The fabric like you describe gives me the best wind shirt I have ever had.

I will have to see about durability. So far I haven't pampered it at all and no problems. I also used a Montbell Tachyon which seemed very fragile for over two years once or twice a week and still nothing. So, I will see when I get a problem.

About the features of the Alpine Jacket, I agree. I love the hood. Moves with you like no other, good protection from the elements. The wire could be solved lighter I guess, the Tachyon does this well. I find the zipper could be sized down, and I could personally do without the pockets. Could also be anorak/pull-on (like it was) instead of full jacket. Especially because it performs so well you are likely to wear it longer (not having to put it on/off).

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Michael, there is a hooded version as well. I think Stephen has one too.
    http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/westcomb-crest-hoody

No hem adjustment though, which I would like as well. But if the cut is right and torso long enough I find I don't miss it and might trade that for the weight savings.

FACUNDO GALLEGO HEGUILEN
    BPL Member

@facundo

Hi. I’m from argentine. I’m an ultra-trail runner and have 3 types of wind shell. A montane marathon jacket, a Mountain hardwear ghost whispered anorak and a verto jacket.
    I bought the MH and TNF for the weight but didn’t t know the air permeability till I read it here. Which wind shell you consider the best for ultra-running due to the high level activity.
    Sorry for my english

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Ito, I'm pretty sure michael was referring to the Westcomb Crest not having a drawcord in the hood.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

"Ito, I'm pretty sure michael was referring to the Westcomb Crest not having a drawcord in the hood."

Was reading too quick during a short break. Thanks.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I know for a fact they are not saving any weight by using elastic around the edges. Its fairly heavy stuff, I have to wonder if using some thin bungee and a tiny cordlock would be lighter. Sort of like the 2.3 ounce Montbell Tachyon anorak. It is fully featured with 3 points of hood adjustment, AND a wire brim to give it structure.

I feel like the Crest is not a slam dunk. They can do better, someone can. I feel like the fabric is getting better, i'm not sure if P Quilibrum is the best. I know its going to be heavier than the 10d fabrics but its a small price to pay. Come on Westcomb, redesign the Crest and make it fully featured AND lighter.

Roman Vazhnov
    BPL Member

@joarr

Locale: Russia

FACUNDO, if you want a windshirt for running, maybe Equilibrium will suits you. For example Westcomb Nomad. I have used Equilibrium windshirt for running in the woods in summer, it protects you from insects while keeping from overheating. If you want a windshirt that will lay in your pack most of the time (for protection from cold winds when you are on the top of the mountain for example), then you can use your MHW Ghost.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

@ Facundo, I'd second the recommendation for equilibrium for running & the nomad or crest would prob be where I'd first look. I have a hoodless TNF running windshirt made out of a similar material (maybe older version) to pertex equilebrium & its great foelr cold running.

x x
    BPL Member

@miikkapakarinen

Decided to order a Westcomb Crest LT jacket. Will report back when I get it and get a few chances to try it in different situations.

Would like to have the discussion going on. Seems that the Pertex Equilibrium jackets are not the hottest thing at the moment here. Is it that people haven't tried them? They're a bit heavier, but the performance seems excellent :)

Also I have the Rab Alpine jacket on gear swap if anybody is interested!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The fabric is great, just not tough enough for my tastes.

x x
    BPL Member

@miikkapakarinen

Hi David,

Been reading your blog, thanks for the excellent content! :)

I read from your blog that you have the Rab Alpine jacket and the Boreas pull-on, and also the Black Diamond Alpine Start Hoody.

Would like to hear what's your go to system now.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

This has become my go-to wind shirt – also made from Pertex and it has the drawcord around the waist. Love this thing.

EDIT: sorry, it's quantum, not equilibrium

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Since I bought the Alpine Start I haven't used anything else. As discussed in my article, published yesterday, the fabric is good enough that I can forgive the flaws in tailoring. I kept a Boreas to have around as a beater, and sold everything else.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools