Topic

Wilderness Trekking School – Ultralight Boot Camp Photo Essay

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Wilderness Trekking School – Ultralight Boot Camp Photo Essay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Great pics. What camera is Emily using?

Emily Beers
    BPL Member

@ebeers

Locale: upstate

It's a Canon 6D with a 16-35 2.8 lens. So about as non-UL as they come, but I was so happy to have it along! More photos available on the interwebs here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer#album/107999516654875388564/5934447078798944769

And I really can't speak highly enough about the WTS experience. Our mission suffered quite a few setbacks- 24 hours in our instructor Pat became very ill, and we had to significantly modify our route plan for the possibility of heading back to drive him to a hospital. Thankfully he recuperated well, and we pressed on into that beautiful backcountry. Not pictured is the frozen pink vomit just outside my tent 48 hours later, sigil of my bout with the same illness. Nothing like a fever with rigors, teeth chattering in all of your layers while sleeping on snow. Ryan and Pat really made the experience the best it could be, despite high odds against it. It helped that we had a great crew of students, all of whom were able to be flexible and accommodate 2/5 of us with sudden incapacity derailing our plans. Bottom line: if we could go through all that and still have an amazing trip, the bar was set pretty high. WTS goes highly recommended!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Thanks for the info Emily. Sorry about the illness. I have been through a GI viral illness while desert hiking a few years ago. It was no fun at all.

Ryan Connelly
    BPL Member

@ryanundertrees

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem

Thanks Emily! I think much of our success on that trip can be attributed to the high level of compassion and the universally positive attitude of the students. When the data looks sour its attitude that sugars the lemons.

And for a last post trip recommendation… don't play with RyanC's toddlers 24 hours before a wilderness trek unless you've been previously exposed. Right Pat?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools