Topic

Altra Lone Peak 1.5 Trail Shoe Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Altra Lone Peak 1.5 Trail Shoe Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I'm one who uses the Alras because nothing else really works for my feet (I've tried lots of other shoes).

One shoe I just saw is the Merrell Ascend Glove. Looks like a beefed up Trail Glove. I'll probably try a pair of those next to see what I think. They are mesh so they'll have similar issues with the upper but the vibrum sole might last longer.

Glen Van Peski
    BPL Member

@gvanpeski

Locale: San Diego

I had both the previous versions and recently the new 1.5. Finding the Lone Peaks ended a 5-year search for a backpacking shoe. Apart from the top of the wrap-around toe becoming unglued, actually on both versions, I have had no issues with the shoes. I have had the new versions out on several trips, from SEKI trails to Enchantments granite and have been extremely pleased with their performance. I don't carry much weight, so can't comment on additional wear from backpacking with heavy packs.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Hi All

wondering if anyone has any techniques for lightweight modifications that could enhance the long term durability of trail runners? For example, putting some kind of coating (normal super-glue?) over stiching lines to help them to repel water/increase long term strength, etc. Or glueing on some nylon patches over mesh areas that you know aren't going to last a long distance. I've considered this many times when I've bought trail runners for bushwalking in Aus. There are times when I wish I had done it, especially on the mesh toe boxes…they pour in dirt and in some bushwacking, particularly spinifex country, my toes cop a lot of abuse from spines.

Maybe Ryan could try some of these things, as well as a bunch of BPL'ers, and collate experiences for an article? It seems shoes such as the Altra 1.5 are probably a very good candidate for such pre-emptive treatment; they have relatively limited durability, yet due to their other features are very popular and just keep getting bought and used over and over again and again.

Probably not much that can be done DIY to reduce sole wear, but upper issues are relatively easily solved. Ryan's suggestion of drilling drainage holes for example (people have long done this for wet environments).

Cheers,
    Adam

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Aquaseal is your friend. Take your brand-new shoes and lightly coat stitch lines, the junction between the sole and upper from the midfoot forward, the edges of any rands or overlays, and an especially thin coating over both sides where the metatarsal bends will occur. Add more at wear spots as they develop.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

1. seam grip every exposed stitch

2. seam grip where the rubber joins the leather

3. the moment you see wear on the mesh, seam grip that too

4. the moment u see breaks in the rubber, shoo goo that

5. take some athletic tape and put a thin layer in the heel cup

and finally at a certain point … tell yourself how silly it is to keep going through shoes this fast … and then buy them again because they are the "best"

;)

marvin barg
    BPL Member

@grampa_kilt

Locale: British Columbia

There lie my Lone Peaks in the corner of the laundry room, the forefoot horribly misshapen, grips worn completely down on the lateral edges (no over-pronation support there) and yes, they suck on slippery surfaces, always have. Yet I will buy them again because I can now hike, walk or work in them all day and not feel pain. Nor have I turned my ankle since wearing them. One has to realize they were designed for running a 100 mile race, probably only once before tossing them, and not for long distance U/L hiking.

Perhaps one day, the U/L hiking community will grow enough so that Altra will cater to this emerging market. Until then, thanks to those who wrote how to prolong the life of this shoe. As for slippery slopes, looks like the Lone Peaks will always have to paired with hiking sticks. GK

Jeffrey Stone
    BPL Member

@stonepitts

Locale: Klamath Knot

I've found my Lone Peaks to be quite durable. I have over 300 running miles, a 100 mile PCT backpack trip, and countless shorter hikes on them and they are still serviceable. The most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

Bill Townsend
    BPL Member

@olmanwilly

Locale: Midwest

I am sad to report the same findings as Ryan. Best shoe I've ever used…until it's not. I did have good luck with the Torin's (the road version of the Lone Peak) They held up fairly well hiking in the Midwest and southern portions of the AT. I had no problem getting 400 miles on them there. The Latest pair of LP's made it a few hundred miles on easy stuff with no complaints- but 100 miles on the Long Trail and they were in bad shape.

Karl Riters
    BPL Member

@kriters

Locale: Colorado Front Range

• Water Absorption and Dry Time – A change was made to the upper fabric that seems to have decreased water absorption in the v1.5, and the change seems to be positive with respect to dry time. That said, v1.5 remains a pretty sloshy shoe after river crossings, due primarily to its inability to pump water out of the shoe. You’ll have to upgrade your v1.5’s with a few strategically drilled 1/8” diameter holes in the footbed and sole if you want to optimize water exit.

Before I trash my new Lone Peak 1.5s with inappropriate 1/8" holes, would like advice from Ryan or anyone else as to where to drill "a few strategically placed 1/8" diameter holes" to optimize water exit.

SPIRIDON Papapetroy
    BPL Member

@spotlight

is a protective rubber rand like the Inov-8 roclite series, trailroc 255 and Merrell Tuff
    http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-Trailroc-255-Grey-Blue.html?L=26&A=Trail&G=Male
    http://outsidetimes.com/gear/merrell-mix-master-tuff-trail-running-shoe-review-4869/
    I have the Lone Peak 1 and haven't bought yet version 1.5 because of this. The white piece of leather in the medial side in version 1.5 is totally useless. I am disappointed by the upper of the upcoming Lone Peak 2
    http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/slideshow/10583872/5/altra-lone-peak-20-120-july-2014
    the upper looks like a minimal road shoe and certainly not a trail. No protection at all. I love the Lone Peak for zero drop and wide toebox, but Altra should consider more protection from sharp rocks and scree around the shoe.I have tried the Trailroc 255 but i don't like the heel raise of 6mm and it also has a "flat" feel meaning that after standing or walking i had a pain in the area between the arch and the ball of my feet and also under the heel. I feel the lugs too much. So i am between the Lone Peak 1.5 and some other trail shoes that are cushioned and zero drop.
    Another choice is the Topo MT trail
    http://gearist.com/2014/03/07/review-mt-mountain-trainer-trail-running-shoes-topo-athletic/
    some have reported significant arch support and it is not very breathable, it has a yellow fabric that reaches the toebox, not letting air pass through.
    The upcoming Merrell Bare access trail is another option, also zero drop with cushion, and with a protective rubber rand, check here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVW0kXglw9s
    A very interesting article "Why trail shoes need to get randy"
    http://nearlyshoeless.com/2014/03/15/why-trail-shoes-need-to-get-randy/
    Check out this comment on altra website about the abrasion guard:
    http://www.altrarunning.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ReviewDisplayView?langId=-1&storeId=15151&catalogId=18952&categoryId=75503&productId=305751&reviewId=1027979

Luke Beveridge
    Spectator

@lukebeveridge

Locale: Australia

I just purchased a pair of 1.0's and out of the box they are the most comfortable shoes i have ever worn. I've worn so many types of trail runners (Salomon, Inov8, Merrell, Brooks) and i'm totally sold on the Altras already. The Inov8 TrailRoc had been my favourite, and they are fantastic backpacking shoes but the Lone Peak takes the comfort to another level.

I'll be wearing them for about 10km per day of basic walking on well graded trails and will be keeping an eye on how they last.

They are a little sloppy around the heel cup which doesn't seem to have any reinforcement in it – i was wondering if the 1.5 heel cup is any different from the 1.0?

Overall i couldn't be happier with the Lone Peak. I don't know if it's just clever marketing by Altra but seeing so many long distance hikers (Snorkel, Lint etc) wearing Lone Peak's holds alot of weight for me.

I'll be looking for 1.5's down the track and 2.0's, 2.5's… for sure!

TrailRoc v Lone Peak

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools