Topic

Zpacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Zpacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    brandon hippler

@brandonhippler

This cuben fiber shelter can withhold a major beating from a storm even though its .34 oz/sqyd. Here is a video of a pretty bad storm I managed to video tape.

YouTube video

Bradley Attaway

@attaboybrad

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Glad it stood up, but isn't stormworthiness usually a function of wind more than precipitation? I was under the impression that wind was much more often the culprit of shelter failure, and it looks from the angle of that hail that it was pretty much windless.

I understand waterproofness is measured by pressure, and that rain pressure is increased when windblown, but I'm not clear on how the two relate in real world conditions.

Can somebody set me straight here, or point me to the earlier thread I feel almost certain exists?

Regardless, I appreciate the video. I love every piece of zPacks gear I have and it's always good to see it put to the test.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I have the Hexamid Solo. Got it with 'beak' hoping it would be more wind resistant.

Was in a storm in the Sierra a couple of weeks ago and it was REAL touch and go whether it was going to be blown over. So much so that I finally decided that taking it down would be better than it blowing down.

Of course, they say to pitch it so that the wind is not coming into the entry. But there is absolutely no way to predict the wind in the mountains above tree line… and site constraints often don't allow you to orient it just any way you want even if you could. Of course, the wind in that storm was coming from where it should not for Hexamid stability. And gusting fiercely…. like some giant hand was grabbing the tent and shaking it intent on bringing it down.

Bill D.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Glad to hear about the bad weather performance of the pocket version of the hexamid since I did ask a question about that in another thread.

Though you have more openings, high winds are one thing I like about a using a regular tarp since wind can pass through it from front or back while the sides are highly angled when pitched low so it doesn't have to act like a sail. And you can always lower further until you have to crawl to get under it if its really bad. A few bowling ball rocks on the stakes does keep it in place with short or no guylines (stake directly down). Been there, done that, and stayed dry in very high winds in my existing MLD CF tarp.

As I've been thinking of getting a Hexamid, I have wondered what do you do when high winds are gusting in different directions? Weighing the stakes down with large rocks I'm sure will still work, but having the wind hit the opening straight on seems like a possible square sail in the making. Is the only choice dropping the hexamid down and rotating it to hit the wind better assuming it doesn't shift again? Or is collapsing it over you like a blanket and tucking the sides under you or rocks your only choice? I'm sure once I have one to play with I'd come up with something, but I was wondering what others experiences are.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Sean,
    I've only been through that one bad wind storm, but it was pretty bad.
    I just pulled the pole and let it drop. I would not put rocks on top of the Cuben as it would be easy to put a hole in that fabric. When down it was still flapping pretty violently. Luckily the rain had stopped so I just pulled my bivy sack out from under the collapsed Hexamid and slept on top of it to keep it from blowing around and abrading on the rock anchors.
    I did have it pitched with the recommended 6" or so gap above the ground. But you can pitch it down closer to the ground and that would catch less wind.
    It would be a real job to get up in the night and try to turn the tent in a different direction with already heavy winds… might not be able to keep control of it… better to just drop it.
    BTW… I've had to do that with tents before too…

Bill D.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Wow! That was "NUTS". :)

M

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

@ Bill.

What was the main problem with the Hexamid solo in the wind?

1. Wind getting in under the front porch.
    2. Pole being blown down due to force of wind from the front.
    3. Combination of the above or some other factor.

Thanks,

J

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

Spent last night under mine in Grayson Highlands with sustained 30mph winds with gusts easily into the 40s.

Good placement with a decent windbreak and she worked like a champ.

0 Complaints

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools