Topic

Mtn Hardwear Plasmic – Dry.Q EVAP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mtn Hardwear Plasmic – Dry.Q EVAP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Backpacker posted a favorable review of Mtn Hardwear's Plasmic jacket, which freatures Dry.Q EVAP.

I'm a bit confused by the Dry.Q line. I thought one of them was based on eVent, but their website includes Dry.Q Core, Dry.Q Active, and Dry.Q Elite, in addition to this Dry.Q EVAP

Is there anyplace that summarizes the differences, maybe including some breathability specs?

I found this:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=53688

So am uncertain if Dry.Q EVAP is based on Elite (i.e. eVent), or Core (MH's own PU membrane).

At $140.00 and 10oz, this Plasmic may have potential if it actually breathes well.

Jeff

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

http://www.feedthehabit.com/outdoors/mountain-hardwear-plasmic-rain-jacket-review/

the problem with all this "breathability" mumbo jumbo … no one really knows … since no manufacturer wants real standardized testing of their jacket breathability in the real world, youre left with outlandish marketing claims and technobable

BPL did a brave attempt to measure "breathability" a while back … and the results were not encouraging for some $$$$$ fancy jackets with the latest hocus pocus

with the right SKILLS you can make most rain jackets work … without em even the fanciest most expensive coolest sounding ones will flop

;)

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Backpacker posts a favorable review of everything, because the companies pay them to. I use my subscription for pretty pictures.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

Dry.Q Elite is 3L eVent.

Dry.Q Evap is 2.5L eVent DVL.

The rest are MHW's own house-brand of PU. Dry.Q Core and Stretch are certainly PU, and I have no idea what Dry.Q Active is. I wish mfrs didn't muddy the water so much about WPB technologies with their stupid proprietary brandings.

I took a brief look at a Plasmic in stores and I came away reasonably impressed. This is a jacket that takes design cues from the more expensive technical shells and uses eVent DVL, making it a pretty standout jacket amongst the competition in its price range. I dig its minimalism with its lack of superfluous flaps!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools