Topic

New Pacific Coast Trail Record

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion New Pacific Coast Trail Record

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

For what it's worth dept.: Anish passed Harts Pass about 1:40 pm today and expects to reach Canada before midnight.

While I'm not into this speed record stuff (think of the fantastic scenery she's missing by hiking in the dark!), I can't help but be excited for her at this stage!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Anish is expected to finish tonight, Matt Kirk should be finishing the AT any second and the JMT record went down in flames. What an incredible week to push the bounds of human endurance athletics.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Anish had a huge grin in almost every photo she took of herself during the the entire walk. She looked very much like she was have a blast. And if you read her other words, most of it is about having a wonderful time.

I don't think it is helpful or relevant to say that "women are tougher than men". There are tough women, and weak women, tough men, and weak men. It's not helpful or relevant to compare men and women, and make it into an either/ or equation. Anish's accomplishment shows that it really doesn't matter. Certainly not with hiking.

Anish is one tough woman! And so is Scott, the former champion.

This accomplishment just gives women a strong precedent to believe in themselves and do big things. Yes, a woman can beat a man's record. And why not?

She hiked it in a sundress :)

I love that she totally goes her own way. And stays completely herself, no pretension or grandiose speeches at all in her writing. Love that. Since I just bought a hiking kilt, I'll have to see if it speeds up my strides at all! :^)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"I don't think it is helpful or relevant to say that "women are tougher than men"…"

Still, it's nice when women can break athletic records. Didn't a woman win Iditarod?

Now it would be nice if a woman would become U.S. president : )

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Josh and others,

You are also asking a question in your reply.
    We are just answering your question.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I will never, EVER understand speed hiking – period.

But if it floats your boat then fine. But it should be a personal accomplishment and not something for publicity. The fast trail hike times, to me at least, come under the heading of WGAS?.

Kevin B
    Spectator

@kedward

Locale: Portland, OR

Haha, what? Why on Earth shouldn't she (or anyone else speed hiking/going for FKTs) try to get publicity for it? Anish et. al. are doing amazing things and deserve recognition for it—not to mention the fact that nobody is forcing anyone to read about it. Other people do GAS. It seems like anytime this sort of thing comes up on hiking forums there's a backlash against it, it completely blows my mind: live and let live.

And for what it's worth, I happened to meet Anish a few weeks ago along the trail, knowing absolutely zilch about her attempt. Chatted for a few minutes, gave her some chocolate and water (super hot day in the Siskiyous), and she was on her way. She didn't mention the record attempt once, and she looked like she was having a blast.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I'm sure this person was sponsored at least somehow… publicity= sponsorship =publicity for sponsors.

It can be a personal accomplishment and shared with the world too.

Ueli Steck does something fast but unfamiliar people go YAY.. someone does something familiar and relate-able then it's WHY…. Just because it involves trails seems to rub people the wrong way since no one seems to have anything against other types of racing.

Luckily the people involved are too happy and excited by what they did to care about haters.

Look at the horrible time she is having, missing out on all of that scenery. :eye roll:
    anish

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Jerry: you're referring to the 1985-1990 period of the Iditarod.

1985 – Libby Riddles won, first woman to do so.

86, 87, 88, 89, 90 – Susan Butcher placed 1, 1, 1, 2, 1.

In 89, it was close and they didn't know in Nome who was ahead. As the winner approached, like in the delivery room, a cry went out, "It's a boy!"

T-shirts of that time said, "Alaska, where the men are real men. And women win the Iditarod."

The first Saturday in March (Iditarod Start) is Susan Butcher Day in Alaska (she died pretty young a few years ago).

I bumped into her in a gas station, and even before I recognized her, had a strong sense of, "this is a woman who can take care of herself" like facing down a moose on a distant trail or caring for dogs on the trail at -40.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

61 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes! Mind boggling. Good for her.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

She's got an amazing accomplishment. And that is very cool.

To many simply having a base weight <10# is Type II fun. It's a matter of perspective. I've had super Type I's say to me, "I enjoy the scenery." I just smile smugly.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"On a side note, why do people place basketball, baseball and golf when they can play hockey???"

Truer words never spoken.

On a serious note, I think her accomplishment is very inspiring and I'm glad there are athletes like her setting new standards for everyone to follow.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

Anish's record may not last long. Josh Garrett has also being doing a record attempt on the PCT for the FKT. Unsure whether he has been doing it unsupported/supported. There seems to be some discussion over on his facebook page as to the relative amounts of "support" each received.

Also in finishing just after Anish, Josh would have the benefit of using Anish as a pacesetter.

Both Anish and Josh have carried out extremely impressible feats of sustained speed and endurance, having taken 4-5 days off the old record.

https://www.facebook.com/josh.garrett.505?fref=ts

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Not sure what the debate is….. The articles that I read seems quite clear that Josh had prearranged food at trailheads. That puts it as a supported hike and Anish would have the unsupported record and Josh supported. No apparent controversy..

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"Nah…PCT is more like Mahler."

Mahler does seem more appropriate. There is not much of the "agony of the feet" in Beethoven. I'm sure some bad days probably feel more like late Bartok quartets, to flog the metaphor even more. :-o

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

She has finished. She beat the other guy.

Nice thing about endurance/distance activities is they level the differences between men and women, young and old.

Good for her for achieving her goal! I'll bet she goes on to hike the CDT.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Mahler does seem more appropriate. There is not much of the "agony of the feet" in Beethoven.""

More like "agony of the ears" with Mahler. ;0{

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

I haven't seen an official report on Josh yet, but this article has him finishing in 59 days, 8 hours, 59 minutes:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2013/08/man-woman-set-records-on-pacific-crest-trail/

Heather Anderson's reported her time incorrectly at first, she actually finished in 60 days 17 hours 12 minutes.

Absolutely incredible from both of them! I am curious about the nature of Josh's support. Did he hike out to resupply like Heather did?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

This is a quote from this article about Josh found here: http://mercyforanimals.org/veganhiker.aspx

"Also, I am really lucky to have some support. A great lady who works for John named Tish (whose perfectly appropriate trail name is "Ma") is going to meet me at various spots where the trail crosses the highway. She'll replenish my bars and water, and thanks to her, I'll even get some fresh fruit and vegetables now and then along the way."

Sounds like a mini supported hike unlike the larger operations that may meet a runner/hiker multiple times per day, but still very much a supported hike.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

After watching the video and reading the interview you linked it seems that Tish was definitely resupplying him, at certain points anyway. What really blows my mind is the idea of 2 months/2600 miles on an entirely no-cook diet!!

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools