Topic

West Rim Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning West Rim Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

PA, West Rim Trail? Has anyone hiked this one? Which direction did you do it? Any info you can throw my way?

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Joe,

I've hiked it four times and have a couple of suggestions:

• It's a linear hike, not a loop, so you'll either need two cars or to make use of the shuttle service offered by Pine Creek Outfitters. For something close to $40 they'll shuttle your car to the other end of the trail.
    • I've always hiked it from North (starting near Ansonia) to South (ending at Rattlesnake Rocks). I do it that way for a couple of reasons, but primarily because if you start at the south and hike north you begin with a two-mile uphill. Starting at the north you'll have your first vista of the gorge about 45 minutes into the hike at Barbour Rock. Also, Pine Creek Outfitters is very close to the northern terminus so it's easy to drive to them, fill out the paperwork for them to shuttle your car, and then either walk to the trailhead or drive (they'll come and get your car to move it) and get on the trail.
    • About 12 miles from the northern end of the trail there are some great campsites overlooking the gorge (near the Bradley Wales Picnic Area). The picnic area offers pit toilets but, at least the last time I was there, no water. You'll need to load up on water when you cross the stream before the climb up to the ridge again.

Please PM me if you have other questions. I really like the trail and am more than happy to share more info, including some trip reports and photos, with you if you'd like.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools