Topic

PB2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Erica R.
    Spectator

@skrapp138

Locale: Between the Rockies and the Sierras

So, I love the idea of PB2 for a treat on the trail – and I have 2 questions for anyone that has tried it:
    – Is it good? Anyone tried any of the other 'flavors'? Thinking there may be yummy dessert potential…

– From a energetic/caloric standpoint I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around whether it's actually a good food to bring – or not? They say they remove the fat calories (which would actually be desired on the trail) – but then when you consider the weight savings vs. regular peanut butter, I wonder if it balances out?

This is the nutritional info:
    http://www.bellplantation.com/nutrition

I guess I feel this could make for a nice change from dehydrated hummus for a dip/spread – but if it's going to be a caloric waste – I'm guessing I should save the space….

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"All Bell Plantation products are preservative free and contain no artificial sweeteners. And in the case of PB2 and Chocolate PB2, you won’t find 85% of the fat calories of regular peanut butter."

Yep, what's the point?

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

We have a bag of peanut flour that I was excited about as it's basically dehydrated Peanut Butter after the oil is pressed out. Then I realized that might not be a good thing.

Comparison:

PB is about 5 calories/gram
    PB2 is about 4 calories/gram

PB is ready to eat
    PB2 needs mixing with water

PB is 190 calories/30 ml
    PB2 is 45 calories/30 ml after reconstituting

Obviously, most of the calories in PB come from fat, while less than 1/3 come from fat in PB2. You would have to consume 4x as much volume reconstituted PB2 to get the same calories as PB.

It looks useful for recipes, not so much eating.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Peanut flour makes a great peanut sauce and is is great in dry meals, etc.

But having said that….nuts and seeds are about the fat – it is HEALTHY fat! IMO, unless you have a recipe idea, just carry packets. Your body will thank you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools