Topic

Favorite baselayer for hot/humid hiking, biking, running?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite baselayer for hot/humid hiking, biking, running?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Falk
    Spectator

@zerolimit

Looking for some breathable shirts for summer activities. Searched and Found great baselayer reviews and info. for cold/active weather but not summertime reviews. Thanks for your help.

Edwin Lamberth
    BPL Member

@alfisher

I asked a similar question re: fishing/hiking shirts. May want to check this thread out:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/7504/index.html

Also, several people on this board rave about railriders shirts, but I have no experience with them.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Hi Eric,

In hot dry conditions (Sierra summers) I’ve had really good experiences with the Mountain Hardwear Super Wicked Zip-Tee. I also have regular the Wicked-Tee and it works well too. For both hot and humid, I would probably go shirt-less if at all possible or appropriate.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Edwin

> Also, several people on this board rave about railriders shirts, but I have no experience with them.
    The shirts are not too bad – VERY breezy, some of them. I looked at them for bushwhacking (per articles), but they just weren't suitable for that. But they would probably be fine for on-track summer use.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I simply wear a loose button down long sleeve shirt, Ex Officio brand. A snug baselayer in heat will only lessen evaporative cooling.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

I mostly stick with a simple coolmax or REI MTS shirt in hot humid conditions. They dry reasonably quickly, and don't feel like I'm wearing a brillo pad on a hot sticky day. If sun protection is an issue, I wear an Ex Officio Air Lite Strip Shirt for better ventilation, again combined with quick drying. As a third function, I routinely treat this shirt with permethrine, so it becomes a layer of mosquito protection.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools