Topic

Most Breathable Bivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Most Breathable Bivy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 176 through 187 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Yeah, I was jestin'.

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

David U

I have no doubt you have a lot of bivi experience. (I have lurked these forums for years) And you talk a lot of sense as to their usage.

However, you dismiss my 'Uninformed' comment, I feel it was valid. It was in regard to your misleading statements about mesh in Rabs bivis:

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

David U

I have no doubt you have a lot of bivi experience. (I have lurked these forums for years) And you talk a lot of sense as to their usage.

However, you dismiss my 'Uninformed' comment, I feel it was valid. It was in regard to your misleading statements about mesh in Rabs bivis:

That's because Rabs bivvies are made to be used the way bivvies are supposed to be used: high altitude mountaineering.

A quick glance at their current web page shows 5/11 models with mesh. Inc high altitude models. http://rab.uk.com/products/equipment/bivis.html

and:

The Uber Bivy is a tent.

It most obviously is NOT a tent unless you really think that many other brands models hooped and meshed bivis are tents too (inc those by Rab/ID/Terra Nova etc)

Agreed, Your referral to soldiers pack weights is a digression, and irrelevant as to where they use their bivis.

For nearly 30 years I've seen plenty of folk here in the UK happily using gtx bivis (in rain too!) and dealing with the downsides. Due to where I live, never higher than 4000' ;)

As to the Agressive impression I had, maybe that is something lost in translation. My apologies if so.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Based on the op's criteria, I would suggest not getting a bivy. If you are getting a trailstar, just get an inner nest.

You want:

If I wanted to get a bivy for sleeping underneath a tarp, what's the most breathable? I'd love one with foot venting options, and a LOT of space. I'm tall and I like to dry gear out next to me.

That is going to be a bit much for a bivy. You won't be able to dry clothes in a bivy. Too much condensation will form. The best you can do is keep clothes from freezing by tossing them into a ziplock or throwing them inbetween, your groundsheet (which I think would be a bit redundant) and your bivy. a bivy doesn't have a lot of room. An innernest does. Just get a fabric one. No need to deal with the downsides if a bivy. I am a bivy user, but you seem like you would do much better with an inner nest.

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

I'm looking at bug bivies for use with the TrailStar and the borah bug bivy looks like a good blend between function, reputation, and price. What I can't determine from the vast internet is how much (if any) of a bathtub floor it has. Does anyone have one and can provide insight? I've tried emailing borah directly about some other items and haven't received any response.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I have a Trailstar and the single mid-style bug nets work nicely under them. Check out the Six Moon Designs Serenity Net Tent. It's not the Borah you're asking about, but something to consider.

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

I just received my new Borah bug bivy a few days ago. It doesn't have a bathtub floor at all, just a flat silnylon floor and a flat mesh top. But since the purpose is to keep bugs out of my bed, it seems like that's all that is necessary. If I expect rain or soggy ground I plan to try a plastic groundsheet that can be pulled up on the sides. This is the first time I have used a bivy so l'll be experimenting!

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Max,

About 8 months ago I was looking to buy a bivy without having ever used one. Like you I was looking for multifunctionality. For me that meant: breathable for winter use in -25C-13F under a tarp; waterproof for independent (no tarp) 3 season use; and optimum durabilityweight ratio.

I hike backcountry in Labrador, Canada, which is very buggy in summer and damn cold in winter.

After extensive research and talking to friends who use bivies, I went with the MLD eVent Soul. Very pricey. Cost me almost $400 once shipping and Canadian custom duties were paid.

It is an awesome piece of equipment, incredibly well made. BUT . . . I didn't know what I needed.

When it came time to use it , I found myself wanting to carry a tarp because a bivy in the rain is only useful for lying down and staying still. Unless your hiking style is hike to dark and sleep, without down time, it offers nolittle rain shelter during the couple of hours between finishing supper and going to sleep. Taking a tarp defeats the purpose of a bivy for me – I may as well take my tent.

During the winter my tarptent, exped UL7 Downmat, WM sleeping bag and EE Revelation quilt keep we warm and dry without the need for a bivy.

I have never used this bivy. It is brand new. I started seam sealing it and finished one side with seam grip. If you want to buy it, PM me. I will even finish the seam sealing.

Its not the right piece of gear for me but may be for you.

Derrick

Anonymous
    Inactive

Made a new bivy using Tyvek home wrap, nylon mesh, and velcro yesterday. Took a piece of tyvek, cut it to size and dimensions (feet narrower etc), folded it up on the feet end to about where my shins are, taped it closed. Then sewed some nylon mesh to that end and to one side, then sewed some velcro to the other side of the tyvek and mesh. Sewed a loop on the mesh for a tie out point. Weight of the bivy is 11.4 oz. It's more of a bug bivy all in all. As mentioned it cost about 10 dollars in materials. Going to try it out this weekend at Shenandoah N.P.

I plan to use it with my Sea to Summit Ultra Sil poncho-tarp when expecting rain. Weight is i think 12 oz, plus weight of cord and AL stakes.

In a little while, i'm upgrading to a Zpacks Cuben Poncho/Tarp that i've requested and Joe agreed to do for a reasonable price. I will combine that with a Sea To Summit NANO pyramid Mosquito Net, which i will sew some cuben and velcro onto.

However, that combo is going into my ultra durable, but lighter, save for later stash. Course i will have to test it out it a few times.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

I just finished my summer bivy. It is reversible. basically so that one side is water proof(1.1 sil) with noseeum at the head and the other is all no seeum(.8 oz per sq/yd). It also has a velcro side entry. it weighed 6 oz exactly after trimming it up w/stuff sack. and its pretty big 8ft long. I wanted to make sure it was big enough to fit my sleeping pad, back pack, and other items I might not want wet.

I will be using it with my sil tarp 1 from integral designs it weighs 7 oz with out stakes and tie outs. It will need atleast 6 stakes and 4 tie outs to be usefull though and that will definately add weight.

I promise to those of you that have read me post this 4 times already this wil be my last post about this bivy……Sorry

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Josh, it's OK to be excited and enthused about a piece of gear you just made. Nice weights btw.

Viewing 12 posts - 176 through 187 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools