Topic

Desert Song

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Desert Song

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Granite Mountains, Mojave National Preserve. Friday, 2/15 thru Saturday 2/16/2013.

One of the harder overnight desert cross country solos I’ve done. Scrambling up and down canyons choked with boulders and brush, traversed a ridgeline with a good deal of class 4. A total of about 25 miles over 24 hours; home with bloodshot eyes, plenty of cuts, holes in my pants, and cactus spines lodged in my feet. A good reminder of why lightweight trail runners and techie pants tend to come up short in the desert.

Pics and prose here:
    Sweeping the Garden: Desert Song

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Nice.

I Told you the Granites were a great hike. Guess I should have mentioned the obstacles :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"A good reminder of why lightweight trail runners and techie pants tend to come up short in the desert."

And an even better reminder of why some of us go.

Beautiful pictures, Craig, but it was the prose that reached the deepest….

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Hot damn, I loved this!

You're a poet sir.

There is a photo in the series, ninth from the bottom, the inkling of sunlight splashing through the valley giving off just a hint of color is stellar. A quiet moment captured nicely.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I loved this, all the more so for having known about the set up in advance. The pictures were great, and really demonstrated the challenging terrain you faced. The writeup though was the essence of UL poetry. Deep meaning conveyed with no wasted words.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools