Topic

Dual Sport motorcycle luggage racks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Dual Sport motorcycle luggage racks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

If you have a dual sport bike or even a normal street bike, what works for you? I just picked up a not-all-the-way broken in 2009 KLR650 and need to get it set up to haul enough gear for at least what I would carry for a two day weekend bp trip, but thinking ahead also for longer trips. I've got a line on a couple racks on the bay of evil, the side rack at $80 and a top rack that is wide for starting price of $85 I think. The side rack from what I see mostly keeps gear away from the plastic or exhaust and the top rack provides a wide support for a duffle or tie down area. Am I on the right track here? I will find some day packs to tie onto the sides, can't see paying those high prices for luggage.
    Duane

Rob Reynolds
    BPL Member

@rfreynol

I've been very pleased with my Wolfman rack and dry bag setup. Lots of room and really tough, waterproof bags.

Thayne N
    BPL Member

@teethless

Locale: Four Corners

I like using just a wider top rack for most situations. Lower profile, lighter weight, less $$…

I have a micatech top case and pelicans for the sides, but I find the added weight a bummer unless I really need to bring the kitchen sink.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Well Duane,

Only vintage stuff for me. I have been restoring my '77 CB750K the past few years… backpacking keeps getting in the way of the progress.

In 1979 my brother Gary was working as the controller for Vetter Fairing company and talked me into buying the Vetter Floating Tail Trunk and Saddle Bags. The saddle bags detach as suitcases.

I don't have pictures of mine, but here is a set from Vetter's Website on a '78 Goldwing.

78 gl

And in anticipation of your next questions… all camping trips on the bike included the Svea 123 and Sigg Tourist set in the trunk :)

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Ah, a little activity on my old subject. Cool Nick, I love the old stuff. I have some DirtRacks rear side racks and top rack, with a Wolfman top bag. Working nicely. Two trips towards the coast so far.
    Duane

Rob Reynolds
    BPL Member

@rfreynol

I'm very happy with my Wolfman racks and expedition dry bag setup.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I also rigged up a couple ABS plastic sewer pipe lengths to hold tools on my rear side racks instead of panniers. So far they have saved the bike from scratches associated with loosing my balance and having the bike fall over. Just a loose mirror which was fixed at the next stop. One piece in front of the engine for tire tools, I'm set.
    Duane

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools