Topic

New lighter cheaper Downmat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New lighter cheaper Downmat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Outdoors Magic has a scoop on a new Exped Downmat which is both lighter and cheaper because they have left the larger outside baffles empty. I guess they figure insulation here is a waste. I'm not totally convinced but if it's true that it's just as warm in practice it could make the current range of Exped mats obsolete:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/kors-2012-new-stuff-round-up/9936-7.html

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

oh DAM new mat !

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

I love my DM7 for winter camping, but this literally has me drooling… but maybe I'm just hungry.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

It might be lighter and cheaper, but there's no way it will be as warm, not with two cold outer tubes snuggling against you on either side. The article doesn't say anything about warmth, either. I suspect it will be fine for warmer weather, but I hope they're not going to ditch the UL7 Downmat before I have a chance to get one for cold weather.

There are a few other interesting items, too; such as Deuter packs of a lighter fabric and yet another entry in the microspikes market. I wonder if any of those will make the US market?

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

The older Warmlite DAMs did not have down in the two outside baffles either but then it was made for use inside their special sleeping bag. Their bag has down that covers the un-insulated mattress parts though. Used with a regular bag, the Warmlite DAM seems a little less warm than my Exped 9 which is of similar thickness. Still, I frequently use the Warmlite during shoulder seasons for the weight savings. (I don't know if the newer Warmlite DAMs have down in the outer baffles btw)

I can't say I've ever been unhappy with any Exped mattress and it's good to see innovation and new products. Depending on price and weight, a wider, 25 inch, version of this mat might be just the ticket.

Thanks for the link!

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

"Depending on price and weight, a wider, 25 inch, version of this mat might be just the ticket."

My thoughts exactly. I was going to splash out for an LW UL Downmat, but now I think I may wait for reviews of this one before I make my choice.

"It might be lighter and cheaper, but there's no way it will be as warm, not with two cold outer tubes snuggling against you on either side. The article doesn't say anything about warmth, either. I suspect it will be fine for warmer weather, but I hope they're not going to ditch the UL7 Downmat before I have a chance to get one for cold weather."

I think the idea with the unfilled baffles is simply that your arms don't need as much insulation as your torso. You would still lose more heat through your arms than you would with a fully insulated mat, which may reduce (increase?) the mat's absolute lower temp rating, but for my purposes I think it would be OK.

Outdoors Magic are great for early gear previews from the various European trade shows.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Thanks, Jeremy, for calling this to our attention! I enjoy reading about gear "across the pond"! It's unfortunate that not all the good stuff makes it over here to North America.

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

> The older Warmlite DAMs did not have down in the two outside baffles either but then it was made for use inside their special sleeping bag.

In case anyone is wondering what Warmlite does today,
    I just checked my new Warmlite DAM that arrived this week and it has down in all the tubes. My 24"x70" Warmlite weighs just under 21 oz (595 grams).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools