Topic

Hardrock 100! It’s going down this weekend.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Hardrock 100! It’s going down this weekend.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

The hardest 100 mile race in the world, so people say, is going down this weekend, who's following it here besides me? You cannot argue the reputation, 67,900' of elevation change, all above 10,000', topping out above 14k'!

Predictions? Favorites?

I will be checking in on Joe Grant, who never fails to keep people on their toes with his epic races and solo runs- his crew and pacers are stellar, hopefully they keep him on course and moving strong. Top 3 for Joe?

BPL's own Eric Payne is also stepping into that meat grinder that is Hardrock, so follow him on the race feed this weekend, shoot him a PM, he'd appreciate the encouragement.

It is crazy to think that the fastest runner at Hardrock, likely Dakota Jones, will still be on course almost double the amount of time as Tim Olson's record setting run at Western States. The middle and back of the packers even moreso. Respect.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

when all the other big names were still in the race (Geoff, Anton) John and I seriously considered going up there to watch as my brother lives in Telluride.
    I'll probably check in frequently throughout the race.
    Its probably Dakotas to lose, but don't count Karl out if Dakota is not at the top of his game.
    and no ones mentioned Hal Koerner. I don't think of him as a serious mountain runner, but he is fast and tough.

Have you seen those short Hardrock videos on irunfar ?

irunfar Hardrock

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Hey Art,

Great insight into the different competitors in those videos, thanks for sharing.

I forgot Hal was running HR this year. He is private it seems with his training, so who knows how prepared he is for this race? I like that guy as a competitor, he always seems to make it happen and keep going.

Dominic Grossman is another runner I have been following for a while, he's running his first HR as well. The amount of vertical training he has put in up the San Gabriels on Baldy for this race is stout.

You and John should make your way up there next year. I would make the 10 hr drive up to get in some running and race spectating. Maybe if Kilian and Krupicka race next year?

Anton's latets post at the Ultimate Direction blog has some informed speculation and insight on the weekend and how things may unfold.

Dakota is apparently using poles this year on the course, not sure if this decision differs from last year where he had a fast time.

Ok….. my fanboyism is starting to wear.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

it would be fun to run (the most liberal sense of that word) part of the HR course next year. 12 hour drive for us.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Wow…totally didn't realize it's this weekend and I happen to be going to Telluride on Sat/Sun. Wahoo!

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Is there gonna be any TV coverage of the Hardrock?

Wide World of Sports?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Christopher – I'm trying not to laugh (or cry) at your question, you are clearly not an ultra runner. these are some of the best athletes in the world, but get almost no coverage outside the ultra community itself. media coverage is all about the money, and its just not there yet for this sport. maybe if they made 100 mile mountain racing an Olympic event the cameras would start showing up.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Hardrock 100 in progress right now.
    live twitter feed below.

Current Standings

Hardrock Live Coverage

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://ultrarun.net/HR100/CourseRunRank/Live

Silverton-Start
    KT – 11.5
    Chapman Gulch – 18.1
    Telluride -29.8
    Kroger -34.7
    Governor Basin -37.9
    Ouray -45.9
    Engineer -53.9
    Grouse Gulch -60.4
    Burrows Park -69.7
    Sherman -73.9
    Pole Creek -82.8
    Maggie Gulch -87.1
    Cunningham Gulch -95.2
    Silverton-Finish 100.5

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'm in Joe Grant's corner on this one.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

I'm in Joe's corner as well Craig, but Hal is putting down a serious streak right now, leading most of the race so far.

I had to look twice at the leader board when I saw Koerner's name in 1. Everyone seems to be "fresh" and feeling good, except Dakota.

Is Finkel sitting on the leaders heels waiting to attack?

It could be an interesting morning tomorrow as they come in.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Hal is a beast for sure.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Hal: 24:50:13
    Joe: 25:06:30

Apparently Joe started closing in on Hal quickly in the last few miles. Incredible.

BPL member Eric Payne is sitting in 44, in between Sherman AS and Pole Creek AS (Mile 80.9).

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Giving chase after running 90 miles…Damn.

I believe that makes Hal the first ever to win both a WS and HR.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Solidifying Hal's badassery.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I believe Scott Jureck has also won both WS and HR.

but not to take away anything from Hal, 3rd fastest HR time in history, one tough runner. knew he was fast but did not know he was such a great mountain runner.

huge congratulations to Joe Grant also, I had him pegged at 4th place before the start.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Eric Payne finished in 40:23:xx.

Awesome.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Ultimate Direction has a great interview piece on their staffer, runner, customer rep extraordinaire, now Hardrock 100 finisher, Eric Payne.

Take a minute and read it.

http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/hardrock-finish/

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools