Topic

How to shift down in a continuous baffle bag??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How to shift down in a continuous baffle bag??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

So i have a few bags that have this design – continuous horizontal baffles (WM versalite and two Nunataks…but really many LW bags are built this way)

I'm trying to shift all (well..most) of the down to the top before I go to sleep so as to optimize the warmth (assuming I back sleep).
    I have tried two methods
    1)patting down the bottom part …essentially trying to push the down from the middle of the back towards the top from the right and the left. This doesnt really seem to work since it mainly just squishes the down and not necessarily moves it
    2) holding the bag horizontally with the top of the bag facing downwards and shaking it…trying to get gravitation to pull the down to the lower (in this case the top/chest) part of the bag. this also doesnt seem to work well

How do you guys do it??? do you really see the bottom part emptying ?

Mike

Anthony Britner

@ant89

Locale: North Wales, UK

I shake the bag, you need to be quite vigorous with your shaking as the down won't move otherwise.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjwHUwQX3AI&feature=plcp

Wallace does it to his WM ultralite in this video if you need to see someone do it,but yes you just shake it vigorously.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Since I had my WM Megalite overfilled last fall shifting the down is no longer a problem. The bag is so full now that the down won't shift. :o) But it's also 10 F. warmer.

Mark Alvarez
    Spectator

@creaky

Locale: New England

Just shaking it doesn't really work. A guy at Feathered Friends showed me how to do it years ago. Open the bag flat on the floor or other surface and with your hands "sweep" the down in each tube from the bag's top to its bottom … or bottom to top, of course. You can actually feel and see the effect as you're doing it. It doesn't take much time at all to spread things around the way you want it, though it's a little bit fiddly down near the foot section. (My main bag's a FF Swallow, and I've got to say it's top notch.)

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Shaking it works for me and you will see in the video it also works for Wallace.I don't live that far from Feathered Friends and I have seen them vigorously shaking bags in the store to demonstrate.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

thanks..!

Indeed on the WM you can shift it easily….by bag has a short (21") center zip so i cant open it up completely and shake to one side…does anyone have experience with such a design (golite??

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Mark,

That sweeping action helps explain why my down shifts downward in my Swallow while I'm sleeping at night.

My shoulders are too wide for the bag and I'm a side sleeper who changes sides every hour or so. I think that must be what "sweeps" the down downward and leaves me cold at 3 in the morning.

I gave the bag to my smaller-than-me wife and it works for her. I changed to a larger bag without continuous baffles.

Thanks for helping me understand what was going on with the Swallow.

Daryl

Anthony Britner

@ant89

Locale: North Wales, UK

mine is a phd minimus phd recommend moving the down by patting it around. my technique is to hold a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the bag at the centre of the bottom and give it a Sharp shake kind of like flicking the bag repeat until complete. once the down has moved in that small section move to the next 1/4 -1/3 of the bag.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools