Topic

non-wool lightweight gloves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) non-wool lightweight gloves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I like the weight and relative warmth of my Smartwool liners, but they tend to get frazzled pretty easy (snagging on brush/trees/etc)

I'm looking for something of a similar weight, just better snag resistance, maybe a little more wet resistant as well- I've tried some of the very, very lightweight syn liners and they won't do- weight is great, but they are paper thin and provide little to no warmth and easily get holes in them

I have a pair of OR Omni gloves that I like for shoulder season use, they are plenty durable but weigh double what the Smartwool liners do

ideas?

thanks in advance

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

You might try these: http://underwear.wickers.com/flame-retardant-clothing-ZXpZXWA740ZXsZX54

They are extremely thin but surprisingly warm. I haven't worn them extensively where they would be abraded but see no evidence of pilling. Size large weigh 1 oz. Medium weigh .08. If you normally wear large gloves I recommend large in these. I initially bought medium since they only have three sizes and I assumed the large would be too baggy. I was mistaken and bought a second pari in large since I had negligently abused my mediums beyond return.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

DeFeet Handskins for warm weather and DeFeet DuraGlove for colder temps!

http://www.defeet.com/60211/Gloves.html

Thank me later.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"ideas?"

You might take a look at REI's Windpro gloves. They weigh about 1.5-1.75 oz/pair, IIRC, and are wind resistant and reasonably warm. OR makes them, too, but out of Powerstretch.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

+1 to Thom's suggestion.

I'm still thanking Thom for turning me on to Defeet Duragloves, the Handskins are the synthetic equivalent and well worth the low cost.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Eugene,
    The heavier/warmer DeFeet DuraGlove is available in wool and synthetic. I like the synthetic for cold weather running and the wool for hiking and snowshoeing.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I haven't been able to find duragloves in person yet to try on for size (and I'm one of those that if I buy two sizes I'll end up keeping both instead of returning one haha)…but I've heard nothing but great things about them. Enough so that I can't endorse them but strongly recommend you research them ;)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

they are reasonably priced, so probably worth it to give them a try :)

question- I'm right in between M and L (8.5") according to their sizing, should I go M or L do you think?

thanks

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Mike, did you get my PM?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Doug- sent a reply a couple of minutes ago- lmk if I need to send it again

Mike

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

quick update: Doug was kind enough to send me a pair of dura gloves, he wasn't sure if they were M or L, but they fit me :)- thanks Doug! I believe these are the wool ones and have rubber grippers on the palm- should be handy with trekking poles. They are a medium-ish weight glove (2.3 oz not sure of the size)

I also scored (1/2 price) a pair of Black Diamond lightweight gloves- they are thin fleece (150-ish), weight in size M 1.2 oz. The weave is pretty tight so should resist snagging well and block some wind as well.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I get the $1 gloves at the 99 cent store and they are 1.5 oz. They work great. They can be sewn up easily if needed. They are cool in the heat and warm in the cold. Good for hiking with trekking poles or without. They usually have them in October or so. You can also get a nice beenie too for 1 oz. They are warm enough here for me in SoCal but may not be warm enough for you. Been plenty happy with them and never felt a need to spend more; but you know how that goes!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I went down this path a few months back and some helpful folk here recommended the Seirus Hyperlite All-Weather gloves. I like 'em! They have synthetic leather on the palm, thumb and index finger tip to give them some wear resistance. 1.8oz/pair and only $9 and change on Amazon for size large.

I wear fingerless non-padded bike gloves when it isn't raining or really cold. I have vitiligo on the backs of my hands, so there is no melanin in my skin and zero sunburn protection. The bike gloves work very well with trekking poles and protect my hands from sunburn as well as friction. They have sweat wiper sections too, which is handy. I should try a pair of full-coverage bike gloves. As I write this I realize that they would be much like the Serirus gloves above.

Where I really appreciate gloves is in cold rain. I have some Mountain Hardwear Tempest gloves that are built like a rain shell with a microfleece liner. They keep the cold water off and provide just enough insulation. If it gets colder, the cut is more like a ski glove and the Seirus gloves above will fit.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I get cold easily, so gloves are a requirement on most trips. I have tried just about everything and have a drawer full of all sorts of synthetic gloves.

But I always go back to wool. So I have just resigned my self to the fact that I am going to rip up at least a pair each year.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools