Topic

Rocky Terrain + Tent stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rocky Terrain + Tent stakes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rich y
    Spectator

@gkine

Locale: NorCal

I recently bought a Shangri-la 1 tent from a member on this forum. I'm going to be doing the High Sierras in about 2 months and a lot of the terrain is rocky. I'll try my best to find sites to use stakes at, but for places where I can't are there any tips other than sandwiching stakes between rocks?

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

find big rocks and tie your guylines directly to the rocks. plus they are easy to move around.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

Put the guyline around the middle of the stake, lay the stake sideways on the ground perpendicular to the line and put 1 or 2 rocks on top of/in front of the stake.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Carry 2 titanium nail stakes. They make great starter holes for your other pegs in hard packed and/or rocky ground. I always carry them in the Sierra and Rocky Mtns

If you still can't get your regular pegs in, use the titanium nail stake instead.

If those won't go in, use rocks and/or nearby brush.

If those won't do it, you're camping in the wrong spot. Move on!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Rocks can be your friend. So can shorter stakes. Get those short stakes into the ground and stack lots of rocks on them. I don't see any reason for long stakes there. Or just tie off to sticks or rocks, and then stack lots of rocks on them. Please take apart fire rings and use those rocks for stacking on your stakes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools