Topic

Dear Mont-bell, Please put more down in your UL SS #3 Sleeping Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dear Mont-bell, Please put more down in your UL SS #3 Sleeping Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Friends,

It is my opinion that the Mont-bell UL SS #3 would be a perfect bag if it had a few more ounces of down. If you concur, please add to the thread. After some time has passed I'll forward the thread to Mont-bell.

Thanks in Advance

Casey

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I think they already did this in the 2012 models

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

It looks like they added 1 oz and there prices are really getting up there

Gary
    BPL Member

@grozanc

Yeah, I just got one and was very disappointed that I was cold with temperatures only in the low 40s! I thought the same thing, seemed like very little down.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Which version are you refering to. I have the Spiral down (Non-strech) and it is perfect down to its rated temperatures. I have heard people haveing some issues with the Stretch versions being cooler due to down compression.

I think that shifting down quickly to the top of the bag before sleeping is important on all of these UL 30 degree bags.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Then it wouldnt be UL anymore.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I agree with Greg about down shifting. Take a bit of time to mush the down back on top of you. It likes to fall along the sides which decreases the bag's efficiency.

David Ure

@familyguy

Casey – this was my experience as well and I have discussed it in several threads. Lovely stretch but skimpy on the down!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Casey:

Have you weighed your bag? How does it compare to the spec weight? The "paper thin" shell / lining won't vary too much in weight. If your bag weigh comes within spec, then you have nothing to worry about. But if your bag weight comes noticeably below — then you should contact MontBell for exchange.

When I first got my MB #3, it looked and felt so skimpy that I had a lot of doubts about bringing it untested to Wind Rivers. However, actual weight was the same as spec. I ended up bringing the bag, but also brought an extra insulation layer "just in case". To my pleasant surprise, the bag's 32F rating was spot on! Temps were slightly below freezing (we had frost coating on our tents) but I felt comfy throughout — wearing only silk long johns.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

I had a UL spiral 30 (not SS) it kept me warm below the rating but I did notice lack of down in some baffles I think some of the baffles were over stuffed and some under stuffed. It weighted 1 oz over spec 20 oz for a reg length. I think more even stuffing would help but another oz or two of down would really improve the bag also

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Dear Mont-bell, Please put more down in everything.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

My SS #3 wasn't warm enough for 30f, at least for me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools