Topic

Octamid Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Octamid Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Adam Thibault
    BPL Member

@apthibault

Another question for the MYOG masters…

Now I'm thinking about going with 7' to the peak (keeping the 12' diameter) and sewing with 1.1 oz silnylon, pole will be something beefy (probably carbon fiber pole from Seekoutside or something (need to research…))

Will be using shelter above treeline (in colorado) and during winter.

Question is, how many stake-out points should I use? Can I get by with 8 around each one of corners? Should I sew stake-out points inbetween each of these (for 16 points total around the bottom edge)? Do you think it needs any guy-out points at mid-height? If so should I place them in the middle of the panels or along the ridge lines?

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

add the extra tie outs and some guyouts

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I use 4 stake-outs – okay up to 30 MPH – but I tend to choose sheltered locations and only 5 feet tall

Probably 8 stake-outs are all you need

Easy enough to add guy-outs – mid point – on all 8 ridgelines – grosgrain loop sewn through the flat felled seam

I have Easton Aluminum 0.625 inch – way beefier than necesary – they haven't seemed to be stressed very much in the worst weather. I recently got some 0.433 inch which I think are sufficient. So, for your tent 0.625 is probably all you would need. But, this is a little light, you might find something a little heavier is better.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

It changes the game at 7 ft tall. The Easton 625 is fine for shorter tents and the .750 is decent for a tent in the 6 ft range, and could be used to 7ft, but not for snow loads and big wind. The .750 deflects way to easy at 7 ft. At about 35 lbs of load your tent will be significantly shorter and less taught.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools