Topic

Osprey Hornet 46

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Osprey Hornet 46

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    sandy boyd
    Spectator

@sandylwes

Locale: eastern washington

I see the new sizes are out for the Hornet 46, 3 sizes, has anyone had the chance to try them? Wondering how the large might fit a long torso now….

http://www.rei.com/product/828406/osprey-hornet-46-pack

Thanks
    sandy

Jason Hortin
    BPL Member

@jhortin

Locale: Chicago

I had a prototype one in M/L that I got from here and it was still too small in torso length. It would be interesting to see if they 'redesigned' the pack lenghts. I did notice that on Osprey's website, they only listed the two sizes. Are they out of date?

I loved the pack so its something new to think about – thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

Cheers,
    Jason

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Jason, what is your torso length in inches?

David Ure

@familyguy

Great news – Osprey listened to the BPL testers.

Yes, 3 sizes. The old M/L is the new medium and the Large is the new size.

Cody Lebow

@clebow

Locale: Orange County

Anyone know if they added any foam to the hip belt?

Jason Hortin
    BPL Member

@jhortin

Locale: Chicago

@Konrad: My torso is about 20.5" in length, so it looks like the new 'large' would work for me :)

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

While preferring grey dyneema for 3 seasons,I bought a Hornet for light winter in the GC (like the SAR red) and tested the new dedicated L size out this past spring. Carries like a typical UL pack but loaded with features, pockets, and a lid that will fit my winter shell.

Add: bought a M/L last year but had to return due to size. The dedicated L solves this problem.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I had one of the prototype M/L's , had to sell it, now have a new one Large and all is good :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I purchased recently a Hornet 46 in large. I have a 21 inch torso and it fit fine. That said it wasnt as comfortable as my Osprey Talon 33, the shoulder straps were a little thin. Therefore I ended up exchanging the Hornet.

Guy Trek
    BPL Member

@trek_guy

Has anyone here tried to fit a BearVault 450 into your Osprey Hornet 46? I'm wondering how well it fits — compared to say an REI Flash 50 (similar capacity pack).

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Just bumping up an old thread as I noticed the Hornet is no longer on Osprey's US website. I thought the Hornet was a good looking pack but so feature rich, it begged to be overloaded. As a red pack, personally I would have liked a "light winter" version of it with a bigger pack bag (at about 65L), a bigger lid and of course a better frame closer to the body to be more snow friendly. For my three season, I just use roll tops but winter is different.

Never knew what to make of the really lightweight side sleeves in place of water bottle holders. Thoughts?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

sometime after I sold my prototype, I was contacted by an Osprey rep that they now would offer the Hornet in a Large torso, purchased that pack and have been living happily ever after with it

like almost any pack you can overload it, I've found it to perfect for 4-5 days backpacking- keeping the load reasonable being the key

too bad they discontinued it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools