Topic

Butane Adapter WARNING

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Butane Adapter WARNING

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Cheap canister gas. Sounds nice, yes?

I mean in warm weather, why not just use those cheap 100% butane canisters? All you need is a little $5 adapter off eBay right?

Well, yes, but use it wrong and that little adapter could cost you big time.

So what are the issues? Can it be used safely? I cover this in my Butane Adapter WARNING post on my blog.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I just learned one thing, re-enforced something I already knew, and begs another question. Thanks, Jim.

I learned that cheap butane canisters have a fixed orientation for vapor feed. I didn't know that before. I assume those table-side stoves in restaurants have the index tab pointing up.

This re-enforced that I should keep a vapor-feed canister in ITS upright position.

And it begs the question – now that I know how to use it more safely – where can I find these $1.25 canisters?

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

I learned that cheap butane canisters have a fixed orientation for vapor feed.

That's the tricky part of testing non-standard canisters. You never know when there's a hidden dip or vapor feed tube. You could wind up feeding liquid fuel into the burner when you least expect it.

Worse, you could use it five times without incident, and then the fifth time, something shifts, and WHOOMPH! you get a fireball. Do your homework first with non-standard canisters.

The cheap butane canisters should, with this post, now be a fairly known quantity.

I assume those table-side stoves in restaurants have the index tab pointing up.

Yes. There's a fixed fitting that the canister attaches to. On the fitting, there's a metal tab that fits into the gap on the canister's collar. There's only one easy way to fit a canister in. You'd have to really work at it to screw it up.

This re-enforced that I should keep a vapor-feed canister in ITS upright position.

Yes, unless you're using a warmed up stove AND have a preheat mechanism on that stove.

And it begs the question – now that I know how to use it more safely – where can I find these $1.25 canisters?

Just FYI: I've got two more posts on cheap butane: 1) A general look at butane adapters and 2) refilling canisters with cheap butane. I should have them both done by the end of the month.

As for where to find the canisters, I would look at restaurant supply stores. I also have seen them in supermarkets. The best prices here are in the asian markets, although there is one Dollar Store that sometimes has them.

The fuel is really only good so long as the fuel temperature is above 40F/5C. I usually plan on using 100% butane only if the temps are above about 50F/10C since fuel temperature falls with use.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

It seems strange they are no nice (lightweight, reputable) stoves for these male aerosol butane cans for summer use. Like this gasmate adaptor but as one unit and with a more reassuring looking connection (http://zenstoves.net/Canister.htm#CanisterAdapters).

Although if made far away and you have a local-ish manufacture of standard cannisters, not so green.

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

I bought one of these off of Ebay last year and it seems to work okay.Gasmate Butane Adapter

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

It seems strange they are no nice (lightweight, reputable) stoves for these male aerosol butane cans for summer use. Like this gasmate adaptor but as one unit and with a more reassuring looking connection (http://zenstoves.net/Canister.htm#CanisterAdapters).

Alan,

I've seen some for sale on Asian sites. Most seem a little kludgey, but they are out there.

Part of the issue is that the "long" butane cans are meant to lie on their sides. The stove therefore needs to have a 90 degree connection to burner angle, and the canister cannot support the stove. Stoves that use the cheap butane canisters have to have legs and are therefore necessarily heavier.

Also, that connector is not as secure as a Camping Gaz or standard threaded connector. It could be jostled loose a lot easier. Something to consider.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Mark:

Those three legged adapters are a lot better. They still have the problem of a less secure connection than standard threaded or Camping Gaz canisters, but you won't get canister roll with them. The three legged adapters also have an internal valve which the the type in my Warning do not. In other words, if you hook up a can of gas with no stove attached, it won't spray gas all over.

The problem of course is that they add weight and bulk to your pack, and you have to fiddle with them (pretty minimum fiddle factor though). Just speaking for myself, I haven't found myself using mine a lot. It usually just sits.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!