Topic

Marmot Mtn Works in Berkeley sale and closing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Marmot Mtn Works in Berkeley sale and closing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

the Marmot Mountain Works Berkeley, California store is having a sale, 30-40% off many items. Unfortunately, they have just announced that they will be closing in March. This is one of those real outfitters that carries Western Mountaineering and the like. If you're in the Bay Area, stop in before they call it quits.

edit: article

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Wow, Sharon, thanks for the news. That's great about the sale, but completely overshadowed by the fact that they'll be closing up shop. That's where I've gotten my AT boots fitted and a few pieces of clothing. It's a great shop for sure!

In addition to WM, they usually carry MontBell and Rab, which are equally hard to find in store. Of course they have the usual assortment of companies like Arc Teryx, Black Diamond, Marmot, etc.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Sad to see them go. I wonder at what point the stores and corporate "Marmot" separated. I have a Marmot jacket circa 1985 that has the logo shown on the Berkeley store website.

Marmot the clothing company doesn't have much detail on http://marmot.com/about other than mention of the opening in 1974 of "Marmot Mountain Works" store in Colorado.

The Berkeley store website disavows any connection:
    " Please note that our company, Marmot Mountain Works, is not associated or affiliated in any other way with Marmot Mountain, LLC. "

Ben F

@tekhna

There doesn't seem to be much there actually on sale. But it's a shame to see it go.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

That's a shame. It was a small, friendly shop for serious gear. I went in there off and on in the 80's and 90's. It was opened in 1976 and was in a funky, stone-faced bulding. On the one hand, they probably made it go and last that long because it was in Berkeley. On the other hand, REI, Royal Robbins and Northface outlets, and umpteen other stores PLUS, now, on-line sales, and it's a tough, tough place and time to be in retail. And yet, when you need just a toothpick for your Swarmy knife, someone to troubleshoot your stove, or to grab something Friday 4:45 pm on your way to the mountains, that neighborhood store increasingly won't be there.

Is their Bellevue, WA store staying open?

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

From what I gather, the Bellevue store will stay open.

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

Alas, the way to make a small fortune in outdoor retailing is to start with a large one…

James Kirk

@jamesakirk

Locale: Big Sur

I went in there yesterday It's 20% off everything, some things 30-40% off. The clerk told me they are having another round of across-the-board price drops on Monday (I imagine they'll bmp it up to 30% off, but am uncertain).

Sadly, even at a discount, I can't really afford to buy anything right now.

Adam Cline
    Spectator

@glocklynn

Locale: Washington

I called on Saturday and they had a WM ultralite 20% off but due to the tip i waited until Monday and got it at 30% off. Brand new. WM Ultralite for $280.00 Free shipping. Thanks for the Tip guys

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Bummer- I remember many VW Van biyys in their parking lot.

James Kirk

@jamesakirk

Just dropped by a couple of hours ago. They've marked everything down by 40%!

WM Bags are gone it seems, but they still have a couple of vests. They still had a Marmot Plasma 30 (retail $440) for $264. If I didn't already have a Revelation X quilt on order from Tim, I'd have snatched it up in a heartbeat.

Being unemployed kinda sucks.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Any size 47 insulated climbing boots or Integral Designs or BD winter tents?

James Kirk

@jamesakirk

Tent selection was dwindling for sure. I can't speak to the boots.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

i remember the front door…

"push, for best results"

or such like that.

i also recall that one time there was a hippie bus parked in the marmot lot, and some love child was getting into it wearing, i could not remember the correct name of shoes (was sandals). in the midst of one of my better post-aryian rants, i christened them "'seditious footwear".
    now.. even if given a bit of time, one probably could not conceive of a time and place they could actually deploy that little ditty, but it did occur in central texas (but .. where else ? ), where i was gifted with the opportunity to use "seditious footwear" in a coherent sentence and proper context, with deadpan presentation, and an all knowing of deep understanding nod of the head.

a good delivery of such lines is often key to having a really good night on the town.

cheers,
    v.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

Per their facebook page

"March 18th is the final day of Marmot…

We plan to send the old lady out in style, We'll be tapping the keg around 11 am, I've got the guys from the 5th string next door to play bluegrass, Dave Knopp will be making some mean bbq- and then the real fun will start after closing. I plan on having Lock literally drive the final nail in the coffin at midnight. ALL alumni are invited as well as anyone y'all know of that was connected…reps, customers, industry hanger-on's…spread the word far and wide and let's do justice to this institution!!! "

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools