Topic

Looking for Suggestions: Black Hills / Custer State Park

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Looking for Suggestions: Black Hills / Custer State Park

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Allan Peretz

@alibi

Locale: The Ozarks

Hi All:

We're packing up the family for a road trip to the Black Hills this June.

Vision is to include a 3 day backpacking trip ending at Mount Rushmore. Our party of 4 will include a 6 and 9 year old- we'll need to keep mileage <= 7 per day on easy or moderate trails (maybe some difficult areas depending on "why"). Intent is primitive camping which I understand is OK throughout Black Elk wilderness. Decent access to water will be important- will be filtering.

My original thought was:

DAY1:
    Start Iron Creek Horsecamp
    Norbeck Trail + Little Devil's Towel (Westbound)

DAY2:
    Grizzly Creek Trail (Eastbound)- rated moderate – difficult but I'm not sure why or if it will be a "showstopper" for us.

DAY3:
    Centennial Trail (Northbound) to Rushmore
    End

Thoughts? Appreciate any guidance for this family trip!! I've never been there so my plan is based on web research only.

Thanks,
    Allan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools