Topic

“Add lightness.”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Colin Chapman, Brit developer of Lotus sports cars, was asked how he planned to make his cars faster. His response was, "Add lightness." (instead of adding larger, heavier, higher horsepower engines).

In the same manner that is exactly what backpackers on this site try to do – add lightness. We do it with multi-purpose gear, advanced materials like Cuben fabrics, carbon fiber, etc, and reducing true non-essentials.

And of course you SUL backpackers are the greatest proponents of adding lightness. You guys (I'm still UL) know this is the way to go for more enjoyment. Then there's the added benefits of fewer joint and muscle problems, greater mileage when desired, and fewer items to keep track of in camp.

So keep on with your quest to "Add lightness".

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

That really is true about Chapmann. His F-1 cars in the 80's were underpowered and got poor fuel mileage. That kind of is me in a way. Out of shape, so I make it easier by going lighter.

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

So does this mean a dry bag full of helium is next?

Mo Jackson

@mojack

LOL…That might not be a bad idea!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Helium! EUREKA! the answer to lighter packs.

And if it doesn't work you can at least inhale it and greet fellow hikers with a wierd sounding "Hello Earthmen! Take me to your leader."

Harrison Carpenter
    Spectator

@carpenh

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley

I can see it now… The balloon pack frame!

Nelson Sherry

@nsherry61

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley

Already being made and marketed for avalanche safety. Just need to add helium cartridges. ;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools