Topic

Exped to release DownMat UL 7

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped to release DownMat UL 7

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

Locale: Midwest

I was exchanging e-mails with Exped on a different product (pillow pump). They shared info with me about the new Downmat 7 UL scheduled for release 3/2012. I thought some folks here might like to know…..they make great gear!

"Below is a summary of the information as we know it right now. Again, it's scheduled to be available at Exped dealers beginning March 2012

Preliminary Data:

Name: DownMat UL 7

R-Value: 5.9

Dimensions and Average Weight (mat only):

Thickness: 7cm/2.8"

XS – 120 x 52cm/47 x 20" – 420g/14.8 oz – MSRP $189.00
    S – 163 x 52cm/64 x 20" – 530g/18.7 oz – MSRP $199.00
    M – 183 x 52cm/72 x 20" – 580g/20.5 oz – MSRP $209.00
    LW-197 x 65cm/77.5 x 26"-750g/26.5 oz – MSRP $219.00

Packed Size:

XS – 23 x 9cm/9 x 3.5"
    S – 23 x 10cm/9 x 4"
    M – 23 x 11cm/9 x 4.3"
    LW-27 x 10cm/10.6 x 4"

The package will include a Schnozzel Pumpbag for inflation. (weight 1.4oz) The bag will be about 18" x 14" x 6", after 3 rolls from the top.

Feel free to check back with us at the beginning of the new year. I'll be able to let you know which retailers are stocking this new mat."

Also – it sounds like the mat can be inflated much more quickly and easily with the Schnozzel….just a few bags full of air.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

The only problem I have with these, is that 20" is not wide enough for me and I am not going to carry a 78" long pad backpacking.

I know there are many people like me who prefer a 25" wide torso length pad?

There's only one blow-up pad that I know of that is wide enough and torso length. It is made by Thermarest, or whatever the company name is?

I am a pretty average sized person and can't seem to fit on a 20" wide pad.
    Am I on crack or something?

Eric M

@eric1981

Locale: MA

I would love a 25" regular length neoair x therm!
    Maybe I need to start a petition or something.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I'm right there with ya. Although, I currently own an Exped Synmat UL 7. For some reason I found the neoair regular too narrow but I do alright with the exped. Maybe it has something to do with the baffle direction? I don't know.

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

I would also prefer something a bit wider, but I can live with 20" – and have for many years.

I think I remember reading or seeing that research showed that 70-80% are side sleepers, and that 20" accomodates that(?)

Either way, this new UL downmat is significantly lighter that the one I have had since 2003, and I know I need R of 5+ for three season so this looks like a nice option.

David Ure

@familyguy

What I like about Exped is the vertical baffles. 20" IS 20". I can't say that about horizontal baffles like the NeoAir. Because the ends round off, the real width is about 18".

There is a solution to this. Nearly 2/3rds of sleepers sleep on their sides. Back sleepers – time to make a change….

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

I think folks using the new Synmat UL have reported that the outer baffles are slightly larger?….can anyone confirm this?

I have a stephenson Dam, and the outer baffles are slightly larger. I like the way it helps to center you on the pad – even subconsciously – as you move awake or asleep.

Maybe the new downmat UL will be the same? It seems to make the 20" more useable.
    Also I think my old downmat was just over 20" inflated, not 20 wide like a lot of pads before air is added….and then the shrink to 19" or less. Sure, I'd like wider than 20". That would be nice. But, anything sub 20" truly sucks. I notice that right away.

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

I'd just like to remind everyone that there are cottage manufacturers (Bender at Kookabay comes to mind) that would love to make you a custom sized down or synth sleep mat. Their offering would most likely be lighter, cheaper, pack smaller and actually fit YOU as compared to a future off-the-shelf offering. The only downside would be the wait involved as it is made for you, but that's not really true given that the DownMat UL 7 isn't going to be released until 2012.

Bobby Pack
    BPL Member

@piddler

Locale: West Virginia

I can confirm that the Synmat UL does indeed have slightly larger side tubes and that they do help keep you on and centered on the mat.

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

Bobby,

Thanks for the feedback. What is the width of your synmat inflated? I think my old downmat was around 20.5"

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Dave, re: "Nearly 2/3rds of sleepers sleep on their sides"

I do sleep some on my back and my arms end up on the cold hard ground on a 20" pad.

I have slept on a few 20" blow-ups and just couldn't get adjusted. I would always wake up partially on the cold hard ground and this made me cold at night. But I guess I am a squirmer.

My fix was the Neoair trekker wide torso size. 16oz, I believe. Supplemented with closed cell pad as needed.
    I now stay on the pad.

Bobby Pack
    BPL Member

@piddler

I'll try and get a measurment tonight when I get home. It does feel a bit wider than my NeoAir. I find the Synmat UL to be almost as comfortable as my Downmat 7 and it is more comfortable than my NeoAir. This summer I've been carrying the NeoAir because it has been HOT and I save about 3.5 ounces. The days are getting shorter and the nights longer and colder so I'll be packing the Synmat UL soon.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Steven M: "I am a pretty average sized person and can't seem to fit on a 20" wide pad."

Here's what I do. I have broad shoulders, and when sleeping on my back, my arms are off the pad but on my rolled up rain jacket and a rolled GG Gorilla back pad. This is on either the Downmat 7 or the Synmat 7 UL.

Bobby Pack
    BPL Member

@piddler

Bryan,

Hard to measure but looks like 20.5.

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

Thanks Bobby.

That 20.5" seems to be consistent, and that combined with the slightly larger outer baffles should make this pad feel bigger than a typical 20" one. I may actually considering the 25" wide version, but I just wish it was shorter than 77.5". Either way, I think I will prefer this to the Neo X-therm because of the vertical baffles, likely quieter, and the insulation. I have a hard time believing the x-therm really delivers the stated R-value….I'm waiting to be proven wrong.

Mark Thompson

@meshark

Does anyone know if any stores are taking preorders on this? I've got a trip coming up and would love to get one. I've looked around and haven't found anything, didn't know if anyone else had any luck.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

MEC have them on backorder.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

For any of you in oz looking at these, I saw a couple down in Mountain Equipment on Kent St in Sydney last week. You might also be able to order them if you are not in Sydney. They look really nice!

Gregory Wallace

@gregory71

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I was at Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis last Friday and asked when they would receive their first shipment of Exped Downmat UL 7s. To my surprise, they already had some in stock! I was happy to get one (the 7 LW) before a trip planned for next week.

Mark Thompson

@meshark

I placed a order with backcountrygear that got cancled today, backordered (med lenght). I just called midwest mntn (listed above) and they took a phone order. 209 +13 (shipping), and he had it in hand. Hoping it comes soon, the people where very nice to deal eith via the phone

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Just had a look at the Exped website and I will definitly be trading up my old Downmat 9. Which one to order is a bit of a quandry.

The LW looks really nice but I am not sure it would even fit my Winter tent (Hillie Soulo) The Small (163cm) at 500g is a great compromise.

:-)

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I have a Synmat UL7 LW on order. Dimensions should fit in the Soulo, but I'll know by this time next week.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Good man Stuart :-)

The LW does look nice and luxurious.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I have one on order from REI and it should be here on Thursday. I am more than happy to take any measurements or answer questions anyone might have when I get my grubbly little paws on it.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

8" to spare in length, and just about a perfect fit in width. See my first impressions post:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=62963&skip_to_post=538483#538483

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools