Topic

Sul/xul pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

What packs are there out there for sul long weekend trips? Theres the zero anything without a 6 week wait ?

Michael Mathisen

@mathix

Locale: Oregon

GG Murmur, and I think Ron at MLD has some Burn Packs in stock.

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

+1 on the GG Murmur. I think it's the ideal long weekend pack, offering only what you need and not a thing more. It's like the Smart car of backpacks…

Michael

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

+1 on the Burn (which could be in stock). The fit is magical (at least for my 5'9"/150 lbs body with the medium).

tommy d

@vinovampire

Photobucket

EMS Packable Pack, 9oz, 1500 cu in., $30 (I got one on sale for $21 if I remember correctly)

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4399091&lmdn=Brand&cp=3677352.11373430.4456715

tommy d

@vinovampire

Patagonia Lightweight Travel Pack

I don't have one, but I was looking at one the other day in the store.

11.4 oz (as listed, I haven't weighed one), 1,587 cu in., $79

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-lightweight-travel-pack?p=48817-0-247

You could get both of these packs in less than 8 weeks, if you have a trip coming up soon.

best of luck,
    v

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

North face Verto
    Camp Phantom
    Seas 2 summit pocket daypack
    Hyperlight mountain gear drybag pack
    Gossamergear Riksack
    REI Flash 18
    MEC travel light top load pack

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

I forgot to mention I would like it under 4ounces I have a TNF verto and I like it but i need something light to go to the whole xul thing

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

HMG drybag pack
    Riksack
    Sea 2 summit pocket day pack

are all under 4 ounces. The old GG g6 whisper was 4 ounces

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I really like how the Zpacks Zero look.

But thats prolly a looooong way off for me.

jeff mchenry
    Spectator

@jeffm22

Question for you gurus of the extremes of Ultra-Lightness, based upon experience what backpack you would take when a bear canister was required either large or small.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I have a BV450 and a BV500 canister. Given that they weight 2 pounds, 1 ounce and 2 pounds, 9 ounces respectively, if I'm going by the numbers, my SUL/XUL hopes are pretty much dashed. Maybe I could still hit an SUL load with the smaller cannister…but it doesn't fit in my homemade 6 oz. pack. Next smallest pack I have is a Golite Jam, 19 oz. The Jam and small canister would leave me less than 2 pounds of other gear to hit a sub 5 packweight…I suppose it's doable, but I don't bother.

Cans and SUL/XUL don't seem too compatible…

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Custom pack to hold that canister. probably a cuben style, like a zpacks, or a zimmerman creation could get one in at around 9-11 ounces. you would have cut back on iother features to come in at a low weight.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It depends on how many days long the trip is.

If it is only a few days, my little Bear Boxer (1.6 lb) is pretty compact for a bear canister, and it will easily fit into any 8-oz backpack of 1500 cubic inches.

If it is a longer trip, the solo BearVault 450 (2 lb 1 oz) holds more food. An old sub-1-lb Golite Breeze holds it with ease.

If it is longer still, the larger BearVault 500 (2 lb 9 oz) holds more. The Golite Breeze stills it with ease. However, now we have eaten up a lot of the weight allowance with just two items.

–B.G.–

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Go for the Zero (you'll love it). Tell Joe when you need it by; see what he can do.
    Here are the specs for mine:
    Zpacks Zero 1400ci Cuben = 2.8 oz.
    + Detachable Sternum Strap = 0.2
    + Removable Waist Belt = 1.2
    + Bungee Accessory Cordage = 0.4

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

I can't tell but does the EMS packable pack have a hipbelt?

tommy d

@vinovampire

The EMS pack doesn't have a hip belt or sternum strap.

Joey Dawson

@inabag

Locale: Northern VA

I like that EMS pack a lot for the price. Might pick that up. Anyone link to some good instructions on adding a hipbelt to something like that?

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

LAUFBURSCHE make the huckePÄCKchen, the small version of the huckePACK about which I wrote the review here. 180 gram in cuben, iirc.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Ended up making my own 28 liter main compartment side waterbottle Pockets made the pack body out of grey sil and the bottom and strap reinforcement with 1.9 ounce ripstop final weight 4 ounces

John Chong
    BPL Member

@johnch

Guys, I was looking at the zero, and my fingers are twitching for me to buy it. I was looking at the small size 1,500 cubic inches. At first, I was going to add pockets, but decided that maybe just a back center pocket, or just a side pocket would work. I mainly wanted a pocket for my liter platypus.

For those of you that have used the Golite Ion, MLD Newt, zpacks Zero, or any other rucksack type, was it annoying to get the water from out of the pack each time? And because of this, did you drink less? Any tips or advice? I also use trekking poles, if that makes a difference.

Currently, I use the GG Murmur, and it's a fantastic pack, but I'm looking to downsize a bit more.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I've had a Zero size small out of CT5K.18 for some time now. I elected to get two side pockets but skipped the large front pocket because of the weight penalty associated with it. So far I love it, it is a fantastic pack and I like it significantly better than my Murmur.

Switching out the cord and cord lock that Joe uses for AirCore 1 and a micro cord lock as well as trimming the excess webbing got the weight down to 81 grams (2.86 oz). There is also some extra plastic on the ladder locks which can be trimmed off to save another 0.2 grams. I emailed Joe about using 1/2" grosgrain instead of the thicker webbing that he uses since that would shave another 3.4 grams off the weight of the pack. He is also willing to make the pack from CT3.5K.18 (pretty sure, he didn't seem put off by the idea). That would save a further 9.2 grams pushing the pack weight down to 68 grams (2.4 oz).

Dave Jenkins
    Spectator

@jinx667

Locale: NC

I have a zero x-small (1000cu in) and it weighs 3.5 oz with side pockets, sternum strap, daisy chain. If you have a deadline that is not ridiculous, I am sure he can work with you.

Here is the Zero about half full. I am 5'7", 175.

zero back

Zero side

John Chong
    BPL Member

@johnch

"Switching out the cord and cord lock that Joe uses for AirCore 1 and a micro cord lock as well as trimming the excess webbing got the weight down to 81 grams (2.86 oz)."

the cord being that thin, would it not eventually wear through the fabric?

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I don't have a thru hike on it or anything like that but after about 50 miles I see no evidence of extra wear. Given how burly the CT5K.18 is I really doubt that AirCore 1 would be up to that task.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools